cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.5 will not do incremental backup after reboot

CQ
Level 5

I have been using BESR 8.03, since it was released, without incident.  I created a job that backs up once per day with a new recovery set created monthly.  The software faithfully did small incrementals except after improper shutdowns and this issue has been documented.  Now my problem.....

I upgraded to BESR 8.5.  The upgrade processed without incident.  Being a good boy I removed my old jobs, made sure pj* files, vsnap.idx etc. were deleted.  Basically everything I have learned from previous support calls over the last 2 years and info from these forums.  I then created a new job identical to the old one (see above).  I then manually launched the job to create a Base image.  When that was completed I ran the job again and an incremental was created.  However, when I rebooted the computer and ran the job again BESR 8.5 created a new base backup.  I decided to look for a pattern.  I let BESR make the new base backup and then ran the job again and it created an incremental.  In fact I did a couple of incrementals back to back.  I then rebooted my machine and when I ran the job again it wanted to make a full base backup.

I am running BESR 8.5 on a Vista Business laptop.  I have backed up to local storage and network storage with the same problem persisting.  I have uninstalled BESR 8.5 and reinstalled 8.03 several times.  When 8.03 is running all works well again and incrementals are faithfully produced.  My reboots are routine(ie. not running chkdsk /f or any boot time defrag software etc.). 

Does anyone have any clue what is going on here?  Is this a possible bug or have I missed the boat somewhere?  I am trying to avoid a support call if I can get an answer here.  Obviously 8.5 is unusable and i have rolled back to 8.03.  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

DTC_2
Level 2

This has to be a bug, I am having the same problem and I was suspecting the reboot because it would do an incremental and then do a complete backup again the following night.

This was not a problem before with past versions, but being a software developer I frequently do reboots so I have been getting full backups every night. What's worse is it treats it as a new Base Line each time and since I say only keep to sets, it deletes the other backups so I end up with 2 days of backups instead of the 2 weeks I should be getting with the incrementals.

We need a fix to this now. I do a full backup every night on my machines, the storage alone is massive.

CQ
Level 5
I appreciate your input DTC.  Symantec are you out there?  We need some input on this issue.  Thanks.

SonyAdmin
Level 3

I am having the same problem over here. We have to backup the d:\ drive of 200 laptops 2 time a week.

We were running 7.01 fine with just one recovery point plus incrementals, but since I updated the server and all clients to 8.5 it's hopeless.

Only incrementals until a reboot of the client.

If Symantec is not responding to this issue i will register a case with Symantec Support, if fact, I'm already making one now, because our 6TB storage is running out of juice.

Keep you informed

cheers Mark

CQ
Level 5
Just read in another message that ver 8.51 has been released and that it resolves the issue. I updated 8.50 to 8.51 and the issue seems to have gone away.  So far after rebooting incrementals seem to be running normally.  I will run it for a few days before I consider the bug fixed.

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee
Did the update to 8.5.1 correct this issue for anyone else?

Himzo_Mihaljevi
Level 3

Hi,

I am testing verison 8.5.1 and I got the same problem.

I found that the VSS service was in stopping state when the BESR was hanging on 5 %. 

I killed the VSS service through taskmanager and the BESR job continued.

The VSS service is always suppossed to be in manual mode since third party applications are the one triggering it, unless the os have something scheduled that uses vss.

SonyAdmin
Level 3

Hi Jacob, the problem was solved when 8.5.1. was used.

Only 1 month ago I did a rollout of 8.5 on 200 laptops of our sales team.

So I can do them all over again, and that makes me very unhappy!

Thanks for asking anyway

Message Edited by SonyAdmin on 11-24-2008 04:58 AM

jkornhiser
Level 3
Have the same problem in 8.5.3. Ran a full base, then got two successful weekly incrementals, then it tried to run a full base again before the destination ran out of disk space and killed the job off.

criley
Employee Accredited
jkornhiser,

You appear to have a different issue to the one mentioned in this thread. Please start a new thread for your issue.