cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR and Hyper-V

ronr
Level 4

Hello,

I have a Server 2008R2 with BESR 2010 installed. New recovery point set is created once a week and an incremental backup runs daily.
Now, I need to host a virtual machine on this server. Question is, how will BESR treat this machine? Will the VHD file be backed-up incrementally, or the the entire file will be included within the daily backup? Can BESR see files INSIDE the VHD?

Thanks for your help...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

1. As far as I understand BESR incremental backups: Yes
2. You can restore a single folder from a BESR backup but this would mean you need to backup each individual virtual server. If you follow the suggestion and backup only the host, you would have to restore the vhd, mount it and restore the file/folder.
3.Yes, if it is on the Host.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ronr
Level 4
Hi Markus,
Thanks for the link.

I am still looking for some answers:
1. Can you tell me if VHD files are backed-up incrementally?
2. Is it possible to restore a single virtual file/folder, or must I restore the entire VHD to an alternate   location, mount it and then restore the file/folder?
3. As for SQL databasses which reside on the physical machine - can I restore a single database (granular restore for SQL?)?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

1. As far as I understand BESR incremental backups: Yes
2. You can restore a single folder from a BESR backup but this would mean you need to backup each individual virtual server. If you follow the suggestion and backup only the host, you would have to restore the vhd, mount it and restore the file/folder.
3.Yes, if it is on the Host.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Would you please mark as solved ?