Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR - program directory "missing"

pat0001
Level 3
currently running BESR 8.5.3 in a desktop environment
-using the  easyinstaller for XP Pro 32bit and 64bit computers

the problem i have run into is:
after i install the product, machines report back and show connected without issues, after 3-5 days of making backups and incrementals to the destinations. 50% of the computers stop connecting.
status in console is "not responding".
when looking at the client computer:  all users folder in place, services are in system services, but the c:/prog.../symantec/besr/*  is empty or missing.

i have checked sytem logs, application and system: these logs go from "working" to - The resource 'C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers\win32\win32\V2iMount.sys' does not exist.

or similar

-ive tried several things - short of un-installing and re-installing ( which recreates the problem again )  - ive replaced the symantec folder, then run the fix.bat - but that does not correct issues, and seems to cause others.

-are there known software compatability problems with certain programs that would create this issue. All of these computers are for programming.   Oracle/java/..... whatever they use. All of them have an array of .net on them.
including 2.0sp2 (i think) with 3.5  sP"whatever" the latest is.

Anyway, trying to see if anyone has seen this, my antivirus product is not logging any events, the system is not logging anything helpful, and i have not found anything else in these threads.

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited
What anti-virus product are you using? Are there any other Symantec products installed on these machines?

Is there any pattern to when this issue occurs? For example, are there any entries in the event logs just prior to this issue occurring that could give you some clues..?

pat0001
Level 3
using microsoft forefront - not a fan, but its what we have - im working on getting the exceptions created. dont have verification yet.
no other symantec products installed   (im going to re-read the symsnap threads, but i dont know if they are the same)

below is the first error listed from 1 system with the problem:
Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    MsiInstaller
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    11728
Date:        10/18/2009
Time:        2:04:21 AM
User:        xxxxxxx
Computer:    xxxxxxxxxx
Description:
Product: Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery -- Configuration completed successfully.

then:

Event Source:    Backup Exec System Recovery
Event Category:    Medium Priority
Event ID:    100
Time:        2:13:15 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    xxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
Info 6C8F0428: Backup Exec System Recovery service stopped.
Details:
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

Event Source:    SymSnapService
Event ID:    0
Time:        2:13:26 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    xxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( SymSnapService ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service stopped.

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    MsiInstaller
Event ID:    11706
Time:        2:13:52 AM
User:        xxxxxxxxx
Computer:    xxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
Product: Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery -- Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery.  The Windows Installer cannot continue.

pat0001
Level 3
went back and looked at my failure/success lists:

all failure machines are 32bit xp - have not finished inventory of  .net versions accross the board
-they all have 2.0  something, sp1/sp2 im not sure
-most of them have other versions as well;  anyone had any issues with .net updates breaking the connections?

working on re-installing some of these clients, also my other machines are still working without issue

thanks