cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESRO 8.5 remote install

Symanticus
Level 6

Hi All,

I'm just wondering that is it a good implementation for me to install BESRO 8.5 in a single server connected with large USB HDD and then, I just install the agent remotely on my Exchange Server 2007 and my Domain controller ?

i just want to simplify the BESRO 8.5 main apps. installation as i only got limited number of license with me.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

Could you clarify your question a little?

How many servers and how many licenses do you have? You'll need one license for each server. BESR cannot backup a remote computer without BESR actually being installed on that remote machine. Neither can BESR backup mapped network drives.

I don't see that there is really any difference between the "main app" and the "agent". It's really pretty simple, you'll need a license for each server you want to back up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

Could you clarify your question a little?

How many servers and how many licenses do you have? You'll need one license for each server. BESR cannot backup a remote computer without BESR actually being installed on that remote machine. Neither can BESR backup mapped network drives.

I don't see that there is really any difference between the "main app" and the "agent". It's really pretty simple, you'll need a license for each server you want to back up.

Symanticus
Level 6

ok,

now i got the idea, if i do multiple install of BESRO with unique serial number then each BESRO can manage each other.

Thanks for your simple explanation.

Cheers,

AWT

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

You're right. You should be able to go to any machine that has BESR installed, load the GUI (which is VProConsole.exe) and then connect to another computer that has BESR running. Of course, software and hardware firewalls will block this so you might need to configure the firewall to allow it.

Symantec does make a Management Console (called something like BESR 8.5 Manager) but I don't think it's really all that necessary or valuable unless you're working in an enterprise with at least 10 BESR installations.

See this:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=51803

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The Manager demo limits you to 10 clients for 60 days. When you try adding an 11th client it will not allow you. This said, Manager is primarily targeted at large environments where more than 30 servers backups need to be centrally managed to be performed within a rigid backup window. It also performs some reporting functions which are not available with Backup Exec System Recovery.

Symanticus
Level 6

ok,

It seems that I don't really need a BESRO manager as i only have 3 servers to maintain.

Thanks to all for the help and comments all is clear now.

Cheers.