cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up to a new drive when the old one crashed

Zippo
Not applicable

In the Norton Ghost (10.0) manual I find various scenarios for restoring backed up files to a corrupted, but presumably still usable hard drive.  I want something different.  I just backed up my C drive to an external hard drive.  What I am anticipating is that one day my C drive will crash permanently as it is a few years old.  I will then replace it with a new internal drive.  What steps will I need to go through to restore my old files to this new drive?  I assume I will have to boot the machine using the Norton Ghost installation CD, but then what?

Zippo

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
As I recall, Norton Ghost is similar to the engine used in BESR 6.5 /7.0 if that is the case, after the drive is properly detected by the system, and left as unallocated space, use the Norton Ghost Recovery CD (may be the same the Install CD) to launch the restore wizard to either map to the network share or mount a local copy say from a external HD, the image file to restore back to the new drive. For detailed steps you may want to look in the Norton Ghost User guide and when you encounter a specific step or issue during a restore you need assistance either contact the forums again with the issue at hand or call into Consumer support for more assistance.