cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Imaging

Pat_Quick
Level 2

I downloaded the trialware for the Backup Restore for SBS as a test.  I have a working, error-free SBS2003 server that I would like to be able to restore to a test machine.  I have tried a number of other products that have been unsuccessful.  When I boot from the CD on the working server, it will not let me image that drive; asking for a license key and then closing.  This would be an ideal backup but I have become a cynic since I am yet to get it to work.  Is there a  60-day trialware key for the software?  I already have an older version of the Backup Exec software installed and would prefer to do this without having to install new software on the working software.  Also, is there a way to do a warm backup image without install or doing it cold from the CD.  ShadowProtect does this, although I am yet to get it to boot on the trial machine without constant BSOD's.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

criley
Employee Accredited

You need a license key when doing cold backups via the Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD). If you are in trial-mode and want to test this I would suggest you contact your local Symantec sales office to see if they are able to help (i.e. they might be able to give you a temporary license for you to use).

You have to install BESR before you can do a 'hot' backup.

Probably not the answers you were looking for but hope it helps anyway.