cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution (Manual Job Kick Off)

Brian_Tirado
Level 3
Hi Guys,

We have the new management solution up and running, policies applied and for the most part everything working OK.  For the life of me though I can't find a place to manually kick of a job.  We've used the Non-Altiris based system for a long time and it was a no brainer but with this new one I can't seem to find it.  Any direction would be great, I've looked around the forums already.

Brian
7 REPLIES 7

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

You have to run a job/task using the Altiris Console, it's not in the BESR MS Console.

Brian_Tirado
Level 3
 So this is how I figured out how to do it-

Monitor Tasks
Expand Jobs and Tasks/System Jobs and Tasks/Backup and Recovery/Backup Exec System Recovery Tasks
Right Click and select new Task
Select Run backup policy from the Client Tasks/Backup Exec System Recovery section
Select Backup Policy, Ok
Select a computer to apply it too.

Brian_Tirado
Level 3
 I'm getting:  "The task was killed because it took longer than the allowed time.  To change the time go to the task's advanced properties."  I can't find the advance properties for the task, any pointers?  It kills my job after 30 minutes if I kick it off manually using the process above.

Rubensann
Level 2
Partner Accredited
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347169.htm

ProductPro
Level 4
Employee Accredited
Greetings,

In addition to what Brian Torado stated above:
  You can kick off an already scheduled backup by going directly to the device in question. Right click on the BESR icon and either Run Now to run an existing backup job or Define New Backup to do a specific, non-scheduled backup.
  If your goal is to do this exclusively from the console however, you just need to go to the Manage Tasks page, Backup Policies, find the existing backup policy, and edit it. 
  Then, in the Applied to section, remove the existing computer(s) or group(s) associated with this policy, and apply it to a specific computer or computers. 
  When done, re-apply to the original group or individual computer(s).

Regards.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/351339

http://support.veritas.com/docs/350798

dvieira
Level 3

I can't believe in such kind of answers.

When we bought this product in version 8, we suppose this as an Enterprise Level Product. This kind of answers seem coming from a free tool, or a beta version.

I'm tired of this wave of Altiris integration. Nothing works, even a simple "run now", report or a deployment is a nightmare.  Why not maitaining the previous Windows UI tool ? It was not perfect, but was 10 times better that this new web consoles.

Even the support for the product is going worst. Previously when we had a problem, the KB search always return an article about the problem. Now, we have to go the forums trying to fish something.

Here is an example. when we edit a policy, it always give that error, and don't allow any change on previous saved policy

"An item with the same key has already been added"

The workaround ( i suspect that product support will advice the same resolution ) is to delete the policy, and create again.

I'm tired to wast time on this. We are changing to another tool.

David

vnavna
Level 3

Backup Exec System Recovery Management Solution is terrible.

We have been using BESR since version 7 and the product works great. When version 8 came out with the management console that was even bettter but now Symantec bought Altiris for the management console and it is horrible. It is very confusing getting around and when trying to assign jobs or manually run jobs it is a mess trying to find which way to go. Get rid of the Altiris management studio and go back to the simplier 8.5 management interface.