cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning inexistent recovery points?

freitasm
Level 3

I have BESR set to send me email notifications, and that's how I found out about this..

Every time it runs a recovery point creation BESR is trying deleting an old recovery point. The thing is - those files don't exist anymore, they were all removed previously.

This is the email I receive:

Date: 7/08/2008 15:31:42 p.m.

Notification Type: Notice

Priority: High

Description: Info 6C8F043D: Recovery point [FreeAgent Drive]\Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery\GEEKZONEWEB01_C_Drive007_i001.iv2i deleted to comply with the number of recovery points to save for each drive.

Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Sounds like the history files BESR uses to determine which files to remove to keep within the retention schedule still thinks the files it should remove are still be there. This will often happen when the recovery point files are manually removed, say through windows explorer, and not through the BESR’s UI or left to follow on its own retention schedule. To correct this you could do one of two things. Easy way is to manually delete the contents of the history files on the client and force a new baseline set to begin; be sure to rename the sub-folder of where its old recovery points are store first. Hard way is to open and sift through the *.PQH files with notepad (i.e. they are simply XML formatted documents) to find the references and edit by removing the references; this does not always work and can lead to possible loosing count of what recovery point image to delete resulting in recovery points you currently have being deleted before the retention period has past.