cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup taking too long

David_Woodward
Level 3
I am running the trial version of BESR 7.01 and it seems to be hung while making the first "File and Folder" backup I scheduled.

It's been running for 5+ hours (backing up 200+GB) and has gotten to 44%.  But now it seems to be stuck and says it's backing up file 12343 of 46218 in a folder that only has pictures and videos in it.  Most of the files in that folder are <6MB in size and the largest is around 50MB.

The backup drive (external USB 2.0 disk) activity light is flashing as well as the source, and the VProSvc process is running at 90+% CPU utilization with a fluctuating memory use of around 15MB.  So, as far as the VProSvc process goes, it doesn't appear to be hung.  But why is taking so long to backup pictures?

The backup is running with password protection, and 256bit AES encryption.  Does encryption cause these problems?  Is this normal?  Should I just wait?

Thanks,
David Woodward
2 REPLIES 2

David_Woodward
Level 3
It's now at 6+ hours and no change.  But I thought I could add a little more details.

The Progress and Performance window still shows the streaming 1's and 0's animation with a progress of 44% and 4 hours remaining.  But despite all the sings that the backup is still running, the performance slider is disabled because "no operations are currently running."

And I've checked the backup drive over the past hour and data IS being written to the drive.  It has lost 10GB of free space in the last hour.

So, what do you think?  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Has anyone else used this product to backup 200+GB of data using AES encryption? :)

Thanks again,
David Woodward

David_Woodward
Level 3
Well I've backed up two systems now and both of them get stuck at 44% for an abnormal amount of time.  On the bright side, they do eventually finish.  It takes a few hours though.  Does anyone else see this issue?