cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup via WAN?

Ben_Ruth
Level 2
Our company has several remote sites that have server that we need to backup.  The question we have is, is it feasible to backup a server using System Recovery 7.0 over a WAN?  We have a T1 connection and are concerned about possible bandwidth limitation issues.

Has anyone else had experience using System Recovery 7.0 over a WAN connection?  If so, any information about backup times and such would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
As long as the backup destination can be addressed via a UNC path, there shouldn't be an issue.  If the bandwidth "pipe" is small, you can use the network throttling feature of Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 to limit how much data we try to push over the wire.

Guido_Langendor
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Ben,

You could consider making RP's local first on an additional harddisk, SoHo NAS, server share or USB disk. After making the RP, use a replication tool to copy the RP's to a central storage. This should have several advantages over storing RP's over a WAN:
- Local availability of RP's for recovery of systems or files
- It is my guess in most situations a local creation of an RP is faster as when using a WAN
- Replication software will use bandwitdh MUCH better/more efficient

Overall result is a better (red. more efficient) use of your bandwidth, faster creation of RP's and faster recovery when needed.

Regards

Ben_Ruth
Level 2
Server replication sounds like a solid option.  Another question however:

One of the remote servers is an Exchange server, which we can't replicate live, yet we also can't bring it down.  I know that System Recovery 7.0 offers real time continuous backup of the database (I can't remember what the exact name you gave the process is, sorry).  How much bandwidth does the live Exchange backup take up?  Would we notice it on a T1 connection?

My IT manager is considering using System Recovery 7.0, but wants me to be able to brief him will all the issues that he has concerns about.  Thank you very much for your assitance.

Guido_Langendor
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Ben,

It is my guess I did not express myself good enough:
The process I had in mind:
- Create RP (= Recovery Point & its relatedincremental's) off the remote Server on an additional (for the remote server) local disk, NAS, or what have you.
- When RP is created, start a replication tool that will replicate the RP from the remote site to you HQ
Then you have the RP's on two sites and you use you T1 efficient
On HQ, you could create an automated proces to build a VM Machine of the RP's so you can provide continuety when a remote server failes (HW wise). When the remote server failes SW wise, you have the RP's locally stored to do a faster (and avoid T1 usage) recovery of the remote server.

For the Exchange BESR 7 has the Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 Exchange Retrieve Option.
I myself have no exprience with it (yet), but what i have read, it should do the same trick as I showed earlier.

Regards

David_Mackey
Level 3
One can also use WebDrive to map an FTP location as a network drive and utilize this to copy files across the WAN as they are created.
David.

Ben_Ruth
Level 2
Okay, now I see what you're saying.  Thank you very much for your help guys.  I really like what I'm learning about BESR and I'm trying to talk my IT manager into using it.

Guido_Langendor
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Ben,

We are glad to hear this! If you need any technical/design or sales assistance, please do not hassitate to contact your Symantec representative!

Regards