cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COM Surrogate Error

akertis
Level 3

We are testing out System Recovery 8 and we have a few users getting this error:

COM Surrogate has encountered a problem and needs to close.

This error only happens with two people so far and happens right after the scheduled backup starts to run. 

Has anyone seen this or resolved this error?

Thanks!

57 REPLIES 57

Johanvdv
Level 4

We are in exactly the same situation.

Evaluating System Recovery 8 (desktop edition + manager).

Only 4 systems in use. One of them is reporting this same problem.

I think the following elements may be a factor :

- version : the problematic system uses 8.0.3.28325 (live update to the latest) the others 8.0.2.26324 (trial version originally downloaded)

- presence of "Dell Utility partitions" : the system in question is a Dell system with 2 so-called utility partitions and when I manually create a recovery point on only the data partition, this works without an error. When I try to do the whole system (including these partitions), I too get this failure.

Since we are (not yet) a customer, the knowledge base and the support forums seem bo be the only way to go.

akertis
Level 3

I'm not sure it is the utility partition. One of the users having the error does not have the utility partition on their system. I haven't been able to figure out any relation between the people that are receiving the error so far.

Johanvdv
Level 4

Can you confirm the versions you are using on your clients ?

On my test systems the DellUtility partitions (or 'unlinked' partitions) was a difference between systems.

The next one on my 'guess' list is differences in dotnet runtime versions.

akertis
Level 3

The two systems that I know are getting that error are 8.0.3.28325. It seems all of the clients are using that 8.0.3.28325. Some of the systems run the backup while the user is using the system and others do it when nobody is using the system. I just checked the logs in event viewer from one of the systems that run when nobody is using it and I didn't seen anything in the logs about the com surrogate error. This one is also running 8.0.3.28325.

It is very possible about the  .net version differences. I'll have to double check the versions.

Thanks!

Johanvdv
Level 4

I have also checked the event log of my failing system. I found a couple of messages that seem to be relevant :

First I get

Event ID:1000 Category : (100)        Source : Application Error

Faulting application dllhost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.3119, fault address 0x00012a5b.

Followed by

Event ID:4786 Category : Unknown    Source : COM+

The system has called a custom component and that component has failed and generated an exception. This indicates a problem with the custom component. Notify the developer of this component that a failure has occurred and provide them with the information below.
Component Prog ID:
Server Application ID: {67DFF6D9-E3BC-45B7-94C2-78C8A4D154AF}
Server Application Instance ID:
{91050BDB-B1D5-4756-BA23-209B388FFCFF}
Server Application Name: Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider
The serious nature of this error has caused the process to terminate.
Exception: E06D7363
Address: 0x7C812A5B
Call Stack:
kernel32!RaiseException + 0x52
SymSnapProviderXP! + 0x96788
SymSnapProviderXP! + 0xA8A0

Message Edited by Johanvdv on 09-23-2008 12:39 AM

akertis
Level 3

Did you get anywhere with resolving this?

I tried to do the fixinstall.bat but that didn't seem to fix the problem. I can't find any similarities between the systems that error out and the ones that don't.

That error almost sounds like something didn't install correctly. 

Johanvdv
Level 4

Not yet.

The issue is that I (and the posters with a similar problem) are EVALUATING. So technical support is a ?

If someone who actually has this problem AND can get in touch with technical support would report the solution in this forum, then that would solve our problem.

In any case, I have recently learned that 8.5 is arriving. I still have about 45 days left on the evaluation. My management server is 8.2, I have 3 clients on 8.2 (no issues on them) and one client on 8.3 (COM Surrogate Error).

I am thinking about delaying until 8.5 is actually available and re-doing the tests with that release. Ok, granted, it will delay us making the final purchase with about 6 months but I am not going to approve on buying a backup solution that has this unresolved issue.

But per your suggestion, I will attempt a reinstall/repair installation and report my findings.

Joerg_2
Level 3

Hi, I am having the same problem. I do have a full registered version that used to work fine since yesterday. LiveUpdate made an update on my programs and ever since I do get this error message about the COM Surrogate having a problem at every backup. The backups are made nevertheless (hope they are fine... )

Version is 8.0.3.28325

Installation date says Sept. 30th 2008 (day of the LiveUpdate, original installation has been some months ago)

Problem details:

szAppName : dllhost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512

szModName : kernel32.dll szModVer : 5.1.2600.5512 offset : 00012aeb

Grateful for any insight in this!

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Symantec is still looking into this issue. Currently there is very limited number accounts on this issue. If you have this issue please contact Symantec technical support to begin an investigation. Use the recovery point browser to verify any images completed successfully when this error is generated even if verification is turned on in the backup; mock restores by using the conversion option to *.VMDK or *.VHD is also a good way to test the validity of images created when in doubt. If you have open a case please send me a note giving me the case number so that I can monitor the case. Thanks

Johanvdv
Level 4

David, nice to hear that Symantec Support is aware of this issue and tracking it.

I and other participants in this thread are currently EVALUATING BESR. Logging a support call is not possible for us.

Would you thus mind to share the information support has in this thread ?

Or have support contact us on this issue?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway,

I have been able to download the trial version of 8.5 and the above mentioned problem persists in that release. So upgrading to the latest and greatest version will not resolve this problem.

What I have been able to find out is that the problem is related to the SQL Server VSS Writer service that I have running in combination with an MSDE instance on this system via a service called SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS).

By elimination, I have managed to trigger the error by having the SQL Server VSS Writer service active.

If I stop it (and for good measure the MSDE database service), then I do not get the COM Surrogate failure.

BUT then I get a new error message in my eventlog from the VSS service stating the following :

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on the Shadow Copy Provider {262b716e-bb23-41b5-aaef-e2c15e767167}. Routine details IVssSnapshotProvider::IsVolumeSupported() failed with 0x800706ba [hr = 0x800706ba].

And my vssadmin gives problems with all writers :

C:\>vssadmin list writers
vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Service State)'
Writer Id: {e38c2e3c-d4fb-4f4d-9550-fcafda8aae9a}
Writer Instance Id: {11e068f9-32f1-418e-a992-ac5e2ab5ee1e}
State: [7] Failed

Writer name: 'MSDEWriter'
Writer Id: {f8544ac1-0611-4fa5-b04b-f7ee00b03277}
Writer Instance Id: {ce7d93d1-4b04-45a8-a9e5-aead6c42c36c}

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Bootable State)'
Writer Id: {f2436e37-09f5-41af-9b2a-4ca2435dbfd5}
Writer Instance Id: {9de7903a-8ea1-47da-a4b9-4028be535137}

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
Writer Instance Id: {f544b3bf-82b8-4b7f-9956-e1f11eb17af2}

Writer name: 'IIS Metabase Writer'
Writer Id: {59b1f0cf-90ef-465f-9609-6ca8b2938366}
Writer Instance Id: {e059c01e-d280-4acd-ad8a-420c6e29c7bf}

And No, before I stopped the SQL Server VSS Writer service, I had no errors here.

I can get it back to working order using MS KB Article 940184  ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184 )

The backup itself completes with success. And no I have not validated the backup via a conversion to *.VMDK or *.VHD 

Is there anyone out there with this COM Surrogate Error that also has these services running ?

TAPC
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I get this error as well. It happened on v8 but not the previous installation. It was only when I moved to 8 the problems started. I have a fully licensed version on XP Pro (desktop Edition) to a Networked NAS. Just installed v8.5 this morning, same error. I used to use Norton Antivirus as well but there was too much grief between the two applications to persevere. Dropped the Antivirus for another brand and it worked a treat before V8. It still seems to work, the error message is just annoying.

TAPC
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Just thought, I have the Outlook 2007 Business Contact Manager add-on to Outlook 2007. This loaded SQL Server and it runs as a service in the background. Possible connection given Johandv post?

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Currently the train of thought by support is that it has something to do with how our VSS provider, after the service makes a request to it, calls upon the writers.

Use the VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS command to see if the Symantec Provider is listed, be sure that the Symantec Synsnapservice and Provider services are listd in windows services. If they all are or are not, in a selective startup mode re-register our service: 

vssproviderinstall.exe -register "Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider" SymsnapProvider.dll "Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider" "Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider" If XP 32 then use SymsnapProviderXP.dll and if 64 bit OS then use SymsnapProviderx64.dll Please let me know what your collecive results are on this. Thanks

Joerg_2
Level 3

Hi, and thanks for the info.

I checked the vssadmin and the Symantec Provider is listed. Symantec Synsnapservice and Provider services are listed in Windows Services.

Re-registering in selective startup mode did not change the behavior. There's still the same message about the COM Surrogate.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Check START | RUN | DCOMCNFG | COMPONENT SERVICES | COMPUTER | MY COMPUTER | COM+ APPLICATIONS

That the Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider is
 - Listed
 - That you can click on it without error.
 - That is contains the following Three main folders: Components, Legacy Components, Roles
 - That Components and Roles has content, can be clicked on without error, and the properites shows under security the "Role' administrators
 - That the Role shows the item Administrators and within it has Users and those are actual domain administrators.

Joerg_2
Level 3

Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider is listed, there are no errors on clicking.

All three main folders show up, Components and Roles do have content (2+1), no errors on clicking. Both components in the folder Components do have "Administrator" ín the Security tab.

"Administrators" is part of "Roles", two users are listed, both are administrators (this is not within a domain - so I don't know if "domain administrator" applies).

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Is the account used to login to the system running the agent in the workgroup environment one of these adminnistrators listed? Is the same account used to login to the system the one that installed the product? Does any of these accounts have a local security policy restirctions inplaced; that is compared to the same admin account - I would guess- on a working client under the same account name? What is the state of the Microsoft VSS prodvider in window's services?

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

To follow-up on this those who are having this error, see if changing the 'log on' settings for our three services:

• Backup Exec System Recovery  (Started/Automatic)
  • Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider (Started/Automatic)
  • SymSnapService  (Started/Manual)
  •  

from the local system account to a specific admin account.

Thanks 

Joerg_2
    Level 3

This is a one person workstation with the standard Windows Administrator account and a second administrator account (with standard rights - no changes have been made as fas as I remember) on my name. That account is used for login and also for all installations.

The system is a German one so some of the terms might differ. In the service panel I do not find "Microsoft VSS Provider" what I do find is:

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider  (Manuell) 

Volumeschattenkopie (Manuell)