cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install System Recovery 2011Management Solution on a Windows Server 2008 R2

winterb
Level 3

Hello,

when I try to install Management Solution on a Windows Server 2008 R2 (virtual machine) i get an Error:

Configuration Failed. More Details in the Logs.

The only Logfiles i found are under C:\Users\administrator\AppData\local\Temp.

In the Logfile a.log there is an entry:

<event date="Apr 14 13:36:21 +00:00" severity="1" hostName="BACKUPTEST" source="Symantec.Installation.UI.BillboardsView.runBillboards" module="SymantecInstallationManager.exe" process="SymantecInstallationManager" pid="3028" thread="22" tickCount="2026671"><![CDATA[Unable run Billboards.

( Exception Details: System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Der Thread wurde abgebrochen.
   bei System.Threading.Thread.SleepInternal(Int32 millisecondsTimeout)
   bei Symantec.Installation.UI.BillboardsView.runBillboards(List`1 billboards, Boolean loop) )
( Exception logged from:
   bei Altiris.Diagnostics.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(Int32 severity, String strMessage, String category, Exception exception)
   bei Altiris.Diagnostics.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(String strMessage, Exception exception)
   bei Symantec.Installation.UI.BillboardsView.runBillboards(List`1 billboards, Boolean loop)
   bei Symantec.Installation.UI.BillboardsView.getBillboards()
   bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
 )
( Extra Details:  Type=System.Threading.ThreadAbortException Src=mscorlib )]]></event>

The other Logfiles look ok.

Thanks for the help.

Greetings,

Benjamin

10 REPLIES 10

criley
Employee Accredited

This might be an obvious question but, does this have 2008 R2 service pack 1 installed?

winterb
Level 3

no there is no SP1 installed:

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you please attach the entire a.log?

Also, please confirm how far the install got before it failed.

winterb
Level 3

Here is the a.log

The installation of the Management Console is finished, but there is a message, that it is not configured correctly.

This message is also displayed under Management Plattform in the Symantec Installation Manager.

If i click new configuration, nothing changes, the same errror is displayed again.

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you confirm the exact build number of the ISO you are using for the install?

Niles_Foster
Level 3

I installed Symantec System Recovery Management Solution 2011 on Server 2008 R2 and then went through the Symantec Installation Manager, selected the component that I want and met the Readiness. After the installation I was able to install Server 2008 R2 SP1. So far everything works fine. Do not install IE 9 as the SSRMS 2011 GUI will not function.

Thanks,

Niles

winterb
Level 3

Hello,

sorry for my late answer, but i was on vacation last week.

I tryed to install SSR Management console on a fresh installation of Windows 2008 R2 Server.
The exact Version is 6.1 Build 7600.

I have not installed IE 9.

The installation of the Symantec Installation Manager is finished without any errors.

In the installation Manager i choose

- Symantec System Recovery 2011 Management Solution x64
- Symantec Management Platform

When the installation is finished there is an error, that the configuration is failed.

Thanks for the help.

winterb
Level 3

Hello,

perhaps i have found the cause of the Problem.

When the Installation Manager is installed, i choosd that a new MSSQL instance should be installed with the Name BESOLUTION.

This is finished without any errors. But the instance is never installed.

In the installation of the SSRMS i enter the SQL Instance localhost/BESOLUTION but then an error is printed, that the connection to the DB has failed.

If i enter only localhost, the installtion works, but in the end the Configuration has failed.

winterb
Level 3

any more suggestions?

On a Windows 2003 Server, the installation works, but our security policy doesn't allow Windows 2003 to be installed.

winterb
Level 3

Ok now i give up.

I installed the SSRS on a hardware machine but the same result.

I figured out, that the complete installation is not working.

In the manual the instance name is SQLExpress, but the installation programs says it will install the instance named BESOLUTION. However no instance is installed.

When i configure it manually, he finds the DB but the installation also failed with no Error Message.

So i think we will stay with version 8.5 till the licenses are ending and look if the software is now in a working release.

Greetings,

winterb