cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert to Virtual Disk on copied .v2i files results in error

voyager152
Level 2
Hello - i currently have the following

BESR backing up Server A to backup server B. I copy the backup images to another server C (in a different data center) without link back to backup server B.

In Server C, I run BESR and execute Convert to Virtual Disk command and choose view by System and then choose the appropriate .sv2i file.

I then get an error saying that it cannot find the .v2i files and the path is for the .v2i files on backup server B using DQFN.

I want to create the VM image without link back to the original backup image files. Can i do this? if so, is there a way to make this point to the local (server C) .v2i files?
3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Try choosing View by > Filename and browse to the local location of the *.V2i file. Secondly, you can simply create a blank virtual guest container.   

Guido_Langendor
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I have not done this myself yet in BESR8, but knowing the technology for some years now, I am pretty sure you can create a script (VB is most common, but any COM enabled script language will do) that can do this process for you automaticly.

With the GUI in this situation, I guess you should stop using the sv2i files and run the proces with the v2i files directly. Manually you know which RP's should be part of the VMX.
When you script, you can use the sv2i to get information on which RP's should be part of the VMX you create.
Hope this brings you a bit closer to what you want!

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
BESR 8.5 now has a schedule option to kind of Offsite covert your recovery point images to *.VMDK and *.VHD files