cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashes on Dell Server probably due to hidden partition?

Tim_Walker
Level 3
I have installed Backup exec system recovery edition on a few servers to test, and it appears that if the system came preconfigured from dell, complete with Dell's hidden partition, that you cannot successfully make an image.

No error messages are reported, the server completely locks up and requires a hard boot... needless to say its less than great.

Wondering if anyone else has the same problems or any information on a work around (short of reinstalling the server).
5 REPLIES 5

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
When you configure the job, under the selection list can you see the hidden partitions? if so remove it from the list

Tim_Walker
Level 3
tried but no luck, still gets going and hangs completely... tried doing it offline, same thing.

It seems to be the only server I have with the hidden partition, and the only server it does not work on... could it just be a coincidence and unrelated to the dell partition? perhaps its something else on the server

the server is a pretty nice xeon server with 1GB memory and 73GB (mirrored) hard drives.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
It may or may not be related but I get jobs hang at 1% at least once per week, most of the time a reboot fixes it but occasionally i uninstall the agent and put it back on again.

Tim_Walker
Level 3
well I guess that I have to come in yet again to test, if memory and hard drive tests come back okay... and the system still completely locks up when imaging... I may have to look into other products... hopefully not as this one looks very robust feature wise

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Lockups are notoriously difficult to trouble-shoot.  Sometimes software conflicts can cause lockups, sometimes it's related to system resources.

Have you tried moving the performance slider bar almost all the way to the left?  Sometimes "slowing" the backup process down can help with lockup issues.

Updating to the latest version of the product (6.5.3 I believe) may also help.

Thanks.