cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom SSRD won't boot

themrvladek
Level 3

Recently I have purchased on-line Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition version 11.0.0.46600, downloaded Product and Recovery Disk files from Symantec web store, installed Product and finaly created Custom Symantec System Recovery Disk (Custom SSRD) on CD media, and USB memory stick, but both media – CD and/or USB memory – won't boot. On verify Custom SSRD all I can see is a little blue window in perspective stayed centered on my monitor, and nothing else to forward; no abbility to get any recovery options. My BIOS is set to 1st boot from CD, 2nd boot from USB memory, and 3rd boot from HDD. I made my first Backup My Computer and I do seriously worry how to restore my computer if I need to make that. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

vietlv6789
Level 3

I am in same with you,

Custom SSR2013 Disc or USB cannot boot from UEFI mode

My laptop: SONY VAO SVE, Windows 8

themrvladek
Level 3

This means that Custom SSR2013 Disk is unusable at all! It can't boot from neither of two modes: UEFI and Legacy BIOS. You cannot boot it from UEFI mode, me from Legacy BIOS mode. Thank you very much for your post. I will try to find out the way how to restore my computer from backup files I made in my new Symantec product. Maybe it would work with former Norton Ghost 15.0 Custom Symantec Recovery Disk. Now I see that I was absolutely naive when I decided to replace my Norton Ghost 15.0 with the new Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition. Thrown my money and time. Let this be a lesson to all users of this new Symantec product.

criley
Employee Accredited

So it seems you guys have 2 separate issues:

1. Cannot boot from UEFI (legacy BIOS works)
  2. Cannot boot from UEFI or legacy BIOS

For #2, this could be an issue that is specific to your hardware. Are you able to boot from other CDs (Windows OS for example)?

One workaround would be to setup LightsOut restore which basically installs a copy of the recovery disk on to a partition on disk.

themrvladek
Level 3

Thank you for your post. My Custom SSR2013 Disk won't boot at all. I am able to boot from other CDs.
But in the meantime, I solved the problem. I found out how to make it, spending a few hours on my computer. Maybe I'm stubborn as a donkey, but persistence paid off.
I made a fresh new backup of my computer with my new Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition, and I got recovery point on my external HDD. Then I made changes on computer just for testing my idea (by creating new folders containing data, and installing a new utility).
Next stage was experiment: To make recover I used my former Norton Ghost 15.0 Recovery Disk which booted from CD normaly. I recovered my computer to the earlier stage in Recover My Computer Wizard from new SSR2013 recovery point (no more new folders and data, and no more newly installed utility on my computer).
Let it be useful information to owners of new Symantec backup software who (like me) replaced "old fashioned" Norton Ghost 15.0 with "new" SSR2103 that cannot boot its Custom SSRD to make any recover. All they need is Custom SRD created with Norton Ghost 15.0 because this disk works perfect to make recover from SSR2103 recovery point. I just proved it on my computer.
By the way, the "new" Symantec recovery software is identical to "old" Norton Ghost 15.0 except its name and – what is really annoying – unusable custom recovery disk!
I wonder would Symantec team improve their new recovery software to be useful to create bootable custom recovery disk, because there are many people who purchased it from Symantec but don't own Norton Ghost 15.0 and its custom recovery disk.
To remind: I'm on Windows 7 SP1 32-bit.

vietlv6789
Level 3

hi Chris, Incase . Cannot boot from UEFI (legacy BIOS works)

how to solve it???

AND MORE:

SSR2013 CANNOT DETETCT AL HIDDEN PARTTION?
SSR2013 cannot detect SONY VAIO full list of partitions, pls see att'd file

SONYSYS, and one other partitions could not be found in SSR2013 list !!!

Pls see below images for more details:

SSR 2013 could not detect some hidden Parttions:
http://data.vietforward.com/UploadedFiles/2013/T5/...

Full list of Partions be deteced by other Softwares:

My Laptop is SONY VAIO info is OK for SSR2013 to operate:
    - Windows 8 64bit
    - Intel core i5
    - RAM 4G, 500G Hard disk GPT, NTFS file system

My topic https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/system-recovery-ssr-2013-problems

SO FAR, it still couldnot be solved by technical supporter

I am asking myself WHETHER SSR2013 IS POOR & STUPID SOFWARE???

SYMANTEC SUPPORT FORUM IS A POOR AND HAS NO TECHNICAL SUPPORTER HAS BEEN IN?

AND I AM WASTING MY TIME WIT IT???

OH MY GOD, sorry for my post if it make you any inconvenience, i am a fan of Symanec sofware but with SSR2013, i beleive that i and you cannot rely on it in case our computer has crashed!!!

themrvladek
Level 3

P. S.
Fortunately, I have not threw my "old-fashioned" Custom Symantec Recovery Disk created with Norton Ghost 15.0.

themrvladek
Level 3

OH MY GOD! Just as you said ...
As I can see, your laptop is pretty good, but Symantec new backup software is totally unusable for you. May I make a suggestion? Request money back from Symantec Corporation. Uninstall this software from your machine (use the Norton Removal Tool). Look for an better computer backup software that fits your needs, which can read the hidden partitions, etc. It is sad to write this on the Symantec Community pages, but it has already been proven that this new Symantec product is significantly worse than the former but great Norton Ghost 15.0 that Symantec stopped servicing from April 30, and offered this new one. I am lucky that I previously used Norton Ghost 15.0 so now the old Custom Symantec Recovery Disk created with Ghost works perfect for me. As I already said, it is capable to read backup points created with SSR2013 and recover my computer to an earlier state, while Custom SSRD created with SSR2013 cannot boot up on my machine at all.
I wish you luck with the new backup software for your machine.

themrvladek
Level 3

After all, as a legitimate purchaser of the new Symantec backup software, I rightfully expect that Symantec Corporation improves this new product as soon as possible, in order to avoid the risk of legal claims and pay compensation to deceived customers. I hope that this would be accepted by those responsible in Symantec. Otherwise, oh my God!

vietlv6789
Level 3

I am trying on some other softwares: Paragon backup & restore, Active Disk Image

and found that paragon can boot from UEFI mode, doing well diffential backingup - but have no chance yet testing its restore function, it also can backup my external drive, usb

But I am really donot want to leave SSR2013, it's will be a quite sad for my much love fo Symantec software

Let's hope to Symantec improved SSR2013 with fixed features, if that i will back to use it as Symantec Ghost - our loved-backup tool before

themrvladek
Level 3

I also hope that Symantec would improve SSR2013 as soon as possible to make it fully functional depending on hardware and operating system on which it works. So you will be able to use it on your machine, as many others who are fans of Symantec.
For now, I solved my problem with Custom Symantec Recovery Disk created with Norton Ghost 15.0 which works fine in recovery procedure on my machine from recovery points created with SSR2013 and saved in Symantec Backups folder on external HDD.
If you ask me what I think about other backup software, I can tell you that I have tested Paragon Backup & Recovery 2013, and I was not quite satisfied. It took three times more space and time to make recovery points than Symantec backup software. Recovery from backup points was also very slow. I did not tested it in specific partition recovery, but only in entire HDD recovery with all partitions, and it was okay.
There are several backup software for machines under the Windows 7 and Windows 8 with many options, like disk and/or partition backup, etc. Price for single license varies from $49.95 upwards: Backup4all Professional v4 ($49.95), Acronis True Image 2013 ($49.99), Macrium Reflect Professional v5 ($58.99), NovaBACKUP Professional 14.5 – New Release ($79.95), StorageCraft ShadowProtect 5 Desktop ($89.95), etc. I have not tested any of these software, so I cannot tell you what is my experience.
As you can see, Symantec with its price is really a very good offer. My experience with Norton Ghost 15.0 is positive at all. I'm also a fan of Symantec, and I do believe Symantec will improve SSR2013. I also believe that experts in Symantec read this correspondence on Symantec Connect Community forum, and that they derive the best conclusions how to improve the new software.