cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell utility partition

batman
Level 3
I'm fairly new to this product but I've now got over 120 desktop clients and 10 servers running but appear to only have have problems with desktops that have a Dell Utility partition (5 so far). The error in the local client log is-

"Cannot create recovery points for job : Tuesday Backups. The Internal structure of the image file (PQI_HEADER_OR_CRC_ERROR) is invalid, damaged or unsupported."

I've still got more clients to add but i know some of these will be Dell workstations and i expect i will encounter the same problem.

Any ideas?

Regards
14 REPLIES 14

RBall
Level 5
I do not backup the Dell utility partition and I don't monitor it. It is simple enough to get back from the original Dell Disks and I rarely use it anyway.

/RB

batman
Level 3
I forgot to mention that I'm not selecting to backup the dell partition, I'm only backing up the C:\ and D:\ on desktop clients.

when i look at the properties of the suspect desktop and click on drives the dell utility is displayed but its status is "Not reported" and the last backup and next backup fields are blank.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The ED800012 CRC error is currently being looked into, some headway has been made with the 8.03 / 8.5 release, but there are still some instances that this error is still occuring. Please note after updating to this new build if you are still having the same error.

galbraithr
Level 3
I have BESR 8.03 and get the same problem with the Dell's. Am trying to find out if the 8.5 version is a downloadable free upgrade or a seperate purchase!

PeterMac_2
Level 3
Partner

8.5 is a "new" version and costs money unless it's under your support agreement.

Easier way is to remove the diag partition.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Are those here who are getting this error, does the error occur only when backing up to a network share or also to a local storage drive (i.e. like a 2nd partition/drive or external drive?) for those who are ONLY getting this error when backing up to a network share, there is for version 8.0 that seems to work with 8.5 as well as registry key modification that might help.

galbraithr
Level 3

Hi,

I am using version 8.03 have applied FixInstall_294287.bat and i still receive this error message when trying to image to network share.

Is this definately fixed in 8.5 - before i go back to business for upgrade reasons.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
To see if the fix works in your environment, try 8.5 from the trialware section at the following link: http://www.symantec.com/business/products/family.jsp?familyid=backupexec

Do you get this same error when backing up to a local drive? If not there is a registry key that you might want to consider injecting into your registry. To obtained this registry key please contact support or provide me a personal message with your Symantec contact support information so that I can provide it to you.

Thanks

galbraithr
Level 3

8.5 fixed did identify the issue and first thoughts were that it was fixed however it is a little inconsistent so i will send you (David) a PM with details.

thanks in advance.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Did you get my PM?

galbraithr
Level 3

Hi David,

I have got your PM and have to follow Change process procedure and will let all know of the outcome in due time, thanks for your support.

Roy

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Are others still getting the ED800012 error when attempting to restore the Dell or any other partition after updating their 8.0x or 8.5x build of BESR?

dataanywhere
Level 3

We've just started getting this in BESR 8.0.2.2 on one of our Dell Servers.  We're backing up 5 Dell Servers; 1 of which is now reporting this problem.  It was working fine up until recently.

Another concern of mine is that we weren't notified of this error - but that's another topic altogether.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Is verification enabled within the recovery point job itself? Do you get this error when running a verification of the Dell Utility partition image created and stored to a local drive? Have you follow the suggestions listed in: http://support.veritas.com/docs/292972