cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E0BB0091: Mount point "C:" is already assigned to a volume

DHW
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem restoring using Restore Anyware to a dissimilar machine. At the end of the data restoring process (99% done) and at the retargeting hardware stage, there is an error message box showing the captioned error. Any idea why?

Thanks in advance.

David

3 REPLIES 3

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello,

That's a strange one.  I'm just guessing, but the Restore Anyware process runs at the very end, after the data has actually been restored, as you already know (around 99%).  It may have to mount the volume to do it's magic, and it's apparently trying to mount the volume to C:\ and is unable to, apparently because another device or volume has already been assigned that letter.

You could use DISKPART (WinPE utility) to list volumes and assign/unassign drive letters.  Maybe find what's been assigned C:\ and remove that mountpoint before starting the restore?

I believe log and debug files are saved during recovery operations.  I forget the drive letter; I believe it's a temporary RAMdrive or some such.  The log output may have additional info.

Thanks.

JonyC
Not applicable
There are actually 2 ways I've been able to resolve this issue.

1. Was to go to the "Utilities" tab when you boot from the Ghost disk and select "Change Active Partition"

or

2. You can modify the boot.ini file manually to point to the correct drive and partion to boot from.

Hope that helps,
~Jon

marcogsp
Level 6
I run into this situation from time to time in my testing.  If a computer develops a reputation for this error, then I'll create at least one partition with DiskPart, reboot, and then proceed with the restore.  I'll try Bill's suggestion next time regarding reassigning the drive letters, because it sounds like a time saver. 

However, if you have a customer or the folks on mahogany row looking over your shoulder while doing a restore, it instills more confidence if they can see the restore complete without error.  Especially true if the person paying the bills is not computer savvy and you can't convince them that the alternate fix is just as good.