Gaga
Level 3

Attempted to do Restore Anyware to another computer, got this message:

Error E71C0001: the HAL type could not be determined for this system

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10

AJT
Level 6
Please provide system details for source image and target hardware you are using.

Gaga
Level 3

Source motherboard: Pentium 3 on Asus P2B motherboard (Intel 440BX chipset, 556MB of RAM,Promise IDE card, VIA SATA card), ATI AGP video card. Destination: Pentium 3 on Abit VT6X4 (VIA 133A chipset), 768MB of RAM, same set of video and hard drive controllers. I tried DED option, but it didn't help.

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Check the following technote for information on troubleshooting a HAL issue.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/294524

What version of BESR are you currently using?

Gaga
Level 3
BESR 8, server option. The tech note doesn't explain how can I help the program to identify the HAL?

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The section that I was referring to is this one;

System stops responding before any Windows prompts appear

Or a message is displayed saying there is an issue with the HAL.dll.

Check the version of the HAL.dll.  It is most likely incorrect.  If a system is already restored, you can still check the version in the recovery point.  Use the Recovery Point Browser and restore the system32\HAL.dll to a different location.  Right click and choose Properties.  Click on version, and then look for Internal Name. There are five main types of HALs.

MACPI - Hyperthreading and multi processors
AACPI - Single processor
ACPI - Single processor
MPS - Multi processor that is
APIC - This is a single processor HAL which is used on older systems.

If the recovery point is taken from a system with a single processor, expect the recovery point to have an AACPI, ACPI, or APIC HAL.  The HAL can be checked on the restored machine by copying the new HAL, and checking the properties.  If the new machine has multiple processors, expect the HAL to be changed by Restore Anyware.  If the HAL needs to be replaced, this can be accomplished from a command prompt.

In most scenarios, a multi processor will still run even if a single processor HAL is used, although it may not run at full capacity.

The HAL may not be replaced correctly if the CAB files from the original system are missing.

Gaga
Level 3

What does it mean "It is most likely incorrect". This hal.dll works perfectly fine on my source machine.

Internal name is halacpi.dll. Target is a uniprocessor Pentium III motherboard. Same file in the recovery point and on the target drive. WIndows 2000 server.

I installed BESR 8.05, selected Restore Anyware, now it accepts everything, but locks up on boot. Tried F8, safe mode - still locks up.

So I should just replace hal.dll? How do I know what hal.dll should be used on my target motherboard? Where do I get it from?

Gaga
Level 3

I know I have an updated hal.dll in c:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386\sp4.CAB, and I know this is correct file for a target machine (I don't know if it is good for the source machine). It is not happening automatically, so how can I force BESR to use the updated hal.dll on the target machine from the cab file?

Gaga
Level 3
I manually copied hal.dll (internal name is hal.dll) from c:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386\sp4.CAB to c:\winnt\system32 on the target machine and the target machine boots up. What can I do to make the recovery automatic so that the target machine takes hal.dll from c:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386\sp4.CAB and not from c:\WINNT\system32 off the recovery point?

AJT
Level 6

This is supposed to be automatic, log a support issue with SYMC. Give them all the details of your problem and work around.

PS: Try BESR 8.5 SRD if possible.

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee
Yes, please open a case under your support agreement for this.