Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error EC8F17B7 on attempt #1. SUCCESS on attempt #2

stagmyer
Level 2
Product: Backup Exec System Recovery Option v8.0.4.30166

Error
: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Full System Backup. Error E0BB001B: Cannot lock volume \\?\Volume{d07f313f-f569-11da-bc24-806e6f6e6963}\ because it contains the OS or has an active paging file.  Details: The volume contains system or paging files.

Description: Scheduled (or manual) BESR jobs fail with the error listed above.  If the job is immediately re-run a second time, the job completes successfully.  I have reviewed numerous threads with the same error message (EC8F17B7), but they all appear to related to issues with hardware or issues with the Volume Shadow Copy service.  I don't believe this is the case, but something is definitely preventing BESR from accessing the disk.  Has someone run into this before?  It is only happening on a few servers, but I have no idea what is causing it....

Thanks in advance...
4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited
Do you have any other backup software installed (Backup Exec, ARCserve, TSM etc)?

marcogsp
Level 6
Assuming no Volume Shadow Copy issues.....Are there any disk defragmenting programs or other drive maintenance utilities installed as well?  I have one file server that has both Backup Exec for Windows Servers and a defragmentation utility installed.  I have to run a pre-imaging command files to stop both sets of services in order to avoid volume locking  problems. Afterward, I run a post-imaging command file to restart the services.  It is the only way I've found to successfully image this server.

stagmyer
Level 2
Yes - BEWS v12.5, although just the agent is installed on the problematic server.  To date, this has not caused issues on any of the other servers.

stagmyer
Level 2
BEWS (v12.5 - just the agent) is installed, but has not been a problem on the other severs.  There are no disk utilities installed.  I thought that defragmentation could be an issue, and have already manually defragmented the disks and rebooted the server.  No luck unfortunately...