cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error trying to convert BESR 7.0 image to Virtual Server

BioHazard
Level 2
G'day

I have recently installed BESR 7.0 and after sucessfully backing up the intended machine, i am trying to convert the image for MS Virtual Server, but recieve the following error.:

-Error EC8F03F1: Cannot open recovery point 'D:\livestate\WBAPP_C_Drive001.v2i'.
--Error EBAB0013: A test that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly. PRECONDITION failed, WinNtVirtualOSVolumeDevice::Read: .\WinNtVirtualOSVolumeDevice.cpp(523): ! IsSystemAccessRestricted().

The server i am attepting this for is a win2k PDC if that makes any difference. I have tried running the user console on another server and creating the image successfully that way, but get the same error when i try to convert the image.

Any Ideas?

thanks

BioHazard

14 REPLIES 14

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

Are you able to open/verify the recovery point in Recovery Point Browser?

It sounds as if some of the virtual conversion components of the product have become corrupted somehow.

Is the Windows 2000 Server on service pack 4?

Thanks.

BioHazard
Level 2
Bill

Thanks for the reply.

I can successfully browse the recovery point in question and have confirmed that it is working (seemingly)

The machine that i am backup up is running win2k SP4

Results of more testing:
- I have tried installing the Livestate Console on the machine in question, performing the backup process and get the same error when i try to convert the image
- i have taken a backup of a WinXP machine and successfully converted the image to a VHD
- I have tried to convert the Win2k SP4 Image to a VDMK with the same result as converting to VHD.

Thanks

Jason

brose
Level 3
I'm evaluating BESR 7 and in my testing, I've come across this same issue.  The server is windows 2000 sp4 and has 2 disks with 3 partitions.  I'm able to create recovery points for all the partitions and I'm able to browse the contents without a problem.  But if I try to convert the C drive (system/os partition) I get the same error as above.  The D and E partitions from that same server converted without error to both vmdk and vhd.   I then tried converting a recovery point from a Windows 2003 server that had 1 disk with a hidden dell partition, the os partition and a data partition and that v2i image converted without a problem.  Based on the documentation it sounds like converting a windows 2000 sp4 is supported.

rbrown444
Not applicable
Partner
I'm having the same problem, I have a 2003 Server and I'm able to create a VHD from the D:\drive image, however, I'm unable to create it from the C:\drive image. I'm able to browse the c:\drive image and recover files.  Any one has a solution, I'm desparate.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

I wanted to inquire and see if anyone experiencing this issue has opened a support ticket with Symantec?  My "gut" tells me that we will likely need log files etc to look into this problem further.

It appears several people are experiencing this issue as well, so I'm interested in seeing it resolved or worked around in some manner.

I'll inquire internally to see if anyone has seen this issue before.

Thanks.

brose
Level 3
Further testing... I built up a Windows 2000 SP4 system on vmware, installed the agent and took it's recovery point and converted fine so a clean install apparantly works unless it's something with disks/partitioning.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

I have inquired internally and this does not appear to be a known issue.

This may be something we'd like submitted through our support organization so we can look into the root cause.

Thanks.

brose
Level 3
Ok I'm at a loss now.  On the system that generated this, I thought maybe it was because of the dell utility partition, so I deleted it, converted the disk back to basic (since it was a simple logical disk that the system partition was on) and resized so the OS partition is taking the whole disk.  Basically reduced to the simpliest variables.  Still it will not convert but verify says everything is fine and I can browse and recover using the recovery browser.

Error EC8F1F48: The conversion process could not be completed. Error EC8F03F1: Cannot open recovery point '\\med-core02u\junk\Bobby\MED-APP05_C_Drive.v2i'. Error EBAB0013: A test that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly. PRECONDITION failed, WinNtVirtualOSVolumeDevice::Read: .\WinNtVirtualOSVolumeDevice.cpp(523): ! IsSystemAccessRestricted().

I then tried another Windows 2000 system... 2 dynamic disks the first disk containing a simple partition for the OS drive and no dell partition.  It converted fine.  Then I noticed that the pagefile was located differently between the two windows 2000 systems, so on the box that worked, I moved it to the another disk (as is on the system that doesn't convert).  And this system still converted fine. 

jweathers
Level 2
Was there ever a resolution to this issue?  I'm getting the same error when backing up an Exchange 2003 SP1 server, on Windows 2003 SP1.  It has muliple partitions on three drives (each consisting of two mirrored disks).

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

Can anyone who is experiencing this issue confirm whether or not the recent service pack release (7.01) resolves the problem?

Thanks.

AnthonyB_2
Level 3
I am going to do some testing tommorrow on this subject for curiosity sake with 7.01.

A good work around for Virtualization (suggested by Symantec, which works great! ) is to make a virtual machine and boot it off the SRD iso.  then perform a normal recovery with the recovery points of your choice.

we11ington
Not applicable
i'm having the same issue. I've tried various locations for the image to be stored but still get the same error when trying to convert it to either virtual machine  file type. If i can get this to work it will for the basis of a superb DR plan....
IF
I cannot seem to update using live update and cannot find a download location for the update, can you help?

AnthonyB_2
Level 3
If you are talking about the 7.01 update. I had to call symantec and get it.  Don't think it is available without contacting them 1st.

AnthonyB_2
Level 3
So far so good.  I completed a conversion test utilizing the 7.01 software.  I am going to do further testing, but it seems to be working fine (so far) with 7.01 agent and standard interface.