cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude files from backups

David_Woodward
Level 3
This product ALMOST meets all of my needs for my home network.  And at $70 (without support) that's a pretty tall order. :)

The only problem I have is that I see ways to INCLUDE specific files/folders, but no options to EXCLUDE.

Is there any way I can mark an entire drive/folder for backup and with the exception of certain files or folders?  Obviously this feature needs to be added to the GUI if its not there, but for now I would settle for some behind the scenes registry setting, config file, tweak I could do in a pre-backup command... anything?

Thanks,
David Woodward
1 REPLY 1

David_Woodward
Level 3
I thought that maybe for testing purposes I'd just settle for using a "File and Folders" backup and select the specific folders I want to backup (essentially excluding any ROOT LEVEL folders I don't want backed up).  It's not a solution to the problem by any means because I still get SUB folders that I don't want.

But a more serious problem I've run into is that there doesn't seem to be a way to recover a FOLDER and all of its contents from a "Files and Folders" backup.  [ !?!?!?!? ]  I can select files and choose to recover them, but selecting a folder causes the recover options to be disabled.  So, my only option for recovering a folder (without using a recovery point - which collects about 20GB of data that is already backed up in other ways) is to go into each folder and select all the files one at a time!?  Come on!

This makes custom exclusions from recovery point backups a necessity for this product.  Without it I might as well use any other drive imaging software and stick with Vista's backup features for the rest.