cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP ML110 with Built-In RAID - BESR Restore to Dissimular Hardware Fails

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

We are trying to use BESR 8.5 (Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5) to restore SBS 2003 to dissimular hardware. After going through the recovery process MS Windows SBS 2003 tries to boot but fails with a bluescreen: 0x0000007b. We booted to the recovery console and ran a chkdsk and the same thing still happens. The bluescreen happens so early in the boot process that a minidump is not generated.

Yes, we have installed the RAID drivers during the BESR Recovery Process.

I have good reason to believe that this is a compatibility problem between BESR and this RAID controller.
There's another thread open about this issue but I cannot find it in this new "Connect" forum unless I use Google and then I can't get to it from Google after I'm logged into the forum.

Users on the HP Forum are saying that they cannot slipstream these RAID drivers into their installation media without getting bluescreens. They are forced to use the F6 method during bootup to install these RAID drivers. I suspect this problem I'm having is related.

1 REPLY 1

marcogsp
Level 6

Chances are if the recovery disk were built on a Windows XP preinstalled environment instead of Vista, the recovery would go smoother.  It doesn't seem likely that an XP option will ever be available again, or the option to port the BESR files to a BartPE environment.  I plan on suggesting that through the offical channels.

Until then, or whenever the RAID drivers become more compatible, I offer this suggestion.  It may be possible to "finish" the recovery process by doing an install in place installation while booted from the SBS 2003 installation media.  I don't use the product, but if it follows Microsoft model, you'll be given the option to repair after booting.  You'll want to skip that portion and wait for the installation process to detect the existing installation.  You'll be given the option to repair the existing installation, which you should select.  The process will then do some preliminary checks, delete a bunch of files, copy files from the installation media.  There will be a reboot required and the process will essentially upgrade the existing installation.  For that reason, if your installation media is slipstreamed to the latest sevice pack, you'll have less trouble.  If the process succeeds, you'll have to download and install hotfixes again, because they get wiped out to the level of the sevice pack level of the installation media.

This is not the ideal solution to your problem, but I have used this method to recover a server when left with nothing else to try.  Before the days of "hot imaging" technology, I used to build my lab systems with Ghost images of servers, and recover them with install in place.  It was definitely not a supported method by Symantec, but since it was being used on lab systems, not a huge concern.

Best of Luck!

Marco