cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Drive Copy

sharlene
Level 3
- [Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5] Hi I've taken an exact copy of one Hard Drive to another and am now trying to use the copied HDD in a new system, which has exactly the same Hardware. I can only get as far as the Windows Log on screen. I try to log in locally with the allocated username and password but log in fails. On entering correct username/password you get the logging into windows dialog box, the almost immediately, the dialog box says logging off. I have run the check disk fature using the recovery disk and there are no errors. Help on this is much appreciated, and apologies if this has been posted before. Kind Regards Sharlene
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DannyBoy
Level 3
Accredited Certified

Hi Sharlene.

To do this you need to use the recovery disk environment. Check the next note. This explain the copy hard disk tool is just for the same machine.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/297975.htm

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DannyBoy
Level 3
Accredited Certified

Hi Sharlene.

To do this you need to use the recovery disk environment. Check the next note. This explain the copy hard disk tool is just for the same machine.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/297975.htm

Brian_K
Level 3

sharlene,

This sounds like a drive letter issue and not related to using the HD in a different computer. Should be easy to fix. Did you partition the new HD before the copying process? Or was the new HD unpartitioned (Unallocated Space)? Did you assign a drive letter to the new HD? Was the new HD mounted internally or USB externally for the copy process?

Message Edited by Brian K on 12-23-2008 10:49 PM

Richard_FDisk
Level 4

As Dannyboy said above;

you need to create a recovery point backup image with "restore anyware" enabled rather than use copy hard drive

and then use the recovery cd and the image to restore to "Different hardware"

even though it's technically the same hardware it's actually different hardware due to the serial numbers

windows is freaking out on you because all the serial numbers have changed

cheers

*disclaimer

copy hard drive

as well as restoring from a backup image

isn't intended to be used to bypass
purchasing windows CD's  

sharlene
Level 3

Hi

I Just wanted to say thanks everyone for your help. I have now managed to get the exact Hard Drive copy to work perfectly.

Apologies for the delay in letting you know.

Kind Regards

Sharlene