cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to properly configure (2) servers sharing one NAS for SSR 201

Kristy_STI
Level 0

Hello - I have (2) servers at one site, both servers are using SSR 2011 to get full image backups.  I want to push these image based backups to one shared NAS.  Typically, when setting up one server on a NAS, I would configure the local storage location to \\IPaddress_here\SSR_sharenamehere.  Being that I am sharing the NAS, is there an advantage to creating (2) seprate folders or is it OK to keep both pointed to the same location. For example; I could have both local storage locations pointing to \\IPaddress_here\SSR_sharenamehere  OR I could have \\IPaddress_here\SSR_sharenamehere1 and then \\IPaddress_here\SSR_sharenamehere2.  What are pros and cons of either method, besides the obvious folder split / organizational benefit?  Does this selection impact how the space thresholds would work?  Maybe, another way to answer is..... Is it inherintly bad due to some technical reason to point BOTH server's SSR jobs to the same one NAS folder?  thanks.

1 REPLY 1

criley
Employee Accredited

Both should store their own recovery points in their own sub-folder.

Best way is to enable the option for 'Save backup files to a unique subfolder' (found in Tasks/Options).

You can then point the backup to one standard share on the NAS. When the backup runs for the first time, it will create a sub-folder using the computer name and store the recovery points in that folder.

Hope that helps.