cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD After Restore on Different Hardware

DHW
Level 3

Hello,

<>I am testing BESR 8.5.1 an Intel server running Windows Server 2000 SP4. The server has a EISA Configuration service partition (FAT, Type: Basic) and a NTFS system partition (C:).  The service partition is only show in Windows Disk Management but not in Windows Explorer. A recovery point was made on C:.

<>When I tried restoring on a different hardware using the Restore Anyware option, everything went fine except that on the first reboot, after the Windows Server 2000 splash screen displaying for a while, it gives a BSOD with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.

<>I did have the target hard drive (SATA)  cleaned up with the partition tables and first track record. Also "Restore MBR" is checked before starting the restore.

Any solution and suggestion are most welcome.

Thanks.

David

4 REPLIES 4

Joseph_L_
Level 5
Employee

Here is some further information on the 7B BSOD:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/prork/prhd_exe_qhzo.mspx?mfr=tru...

I would preform CHKDSK on the drive as the article recommends.

DHW
Level 3

Hi Joseph,

<>Thanks for your response. I tried your suggestion  (running chkdsk) but still gave the same problem.

In fact the same hard drive and computer was successfully used to retore a Windows Server 2003 machine.

Any other suggestions?

David

L__Roelofs
Level 2

Hello, just works for me.. Restore with the hidden option 'delete drivers' and 'prompt for drivers'.

How ? Booting from recovery CD, at the checkbox 'Restore Anywhere' hold CTRL - SHIFT first then check.

Check all options. At 99% of recovery, storage drivers are asked, used a floppy with correct drivers

Works great for me.

Lucien

Joseph_L_
Level 5
Employee

I would suggest what the previous poster noted. Try another restore with hidden options enabled.

This technote describes these settings as well as the process to enable.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/293847