cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Image Backup, then Restore

Chaosrider
Level 2

When I went to buy Norton Ghost, I was told it was discontinued, but that I could have a 60 day free trial of Symantec System Recovery 2013. Based on what I've seen so far, I won't be buying at the end of the trial, but perhaps someone here can actually give me an answer that works.

Here's my requirement:

1) Make a COMPLETE image backup from my Windows 7 laptop to an external hard drive (3 TB; there are no space problems)

2) Restore that image from the external HD to a new blank laptop, and have it boot up to EXACTLY the system configuration I have now on the existing laptop  WITHOUT having to reload all (any) of the software. All the software on the current laptop is fully licensed. The existing laptop will just be a back-up machine once this transfer is complete.

Here's my problem:

The "on-screen" walk-through for creating this kind of image back-up is ambiguous and confusing at best. The instructions (read me) are COMPLETELY OPAQUE about how to do this. I talked to at least 6 people between Norton and Symantec on Friday, and not a soul was able to help me. They just passed me off to someone else who couldn't help (some ESL problems involved in this process...).

So, what I'm looking for is a clear set of step-by-step instructions for meeting my requirement, or a clear line to someone at Symantec who can provide it.

Thanks,

TCS

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Are you aware of the users guide ? https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-windows-image-truecrypt-drives I should think pages 78 pp could answer your questions.

Chaosrider
Level 2

I was unaware of this, but I'll check it out.

Thx,

TCS

Chaosrider
Level 2

Well...didn't help. I thought that the link was to the users guide, but it was to another disucssion thread, which if it had a link to the guide in it, I didn't see it. Where might I find this mythical users guide?

The other thread was a bit disturbing, however. I was a great techie about 1000 years ago, but I've been a hard core "user" for decades now. I was hoping for "plug and play": check this box, punch that button, and away it runs to do its thing. It appears that's not an option on the menu!

Or did I just miss something obvious?

Thx,

TCS

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

here's the users guide: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC6256

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Did the user's guide help you ?