cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Ghost 14.0 Drive Backup Error Messages

Rocket28
Level 3
I just installed Norton Ghost 14.0 and am trying to backup my "C" drive to an external drive "I".  Here are the errors I am getting:

The first error was as follows:

I then changed the backup parameters to no backup up damaged sectors or smart sectors.

The second error was explained as follows after 15% of the drive was backed up:

The second error was as follows:

I then disabled Zone Alarm Security Suite and Spyware Doctor.

I then received this third error after 60% of the drive was backed up:

This third error was amplifed as follows:

At this point I gave up.  Should I forget trying to backup my drive and just back up in Files and Folders: "My Documents" plus other scattered "ini" and "db" files under Application Data?

Is there some solution to this or is Norton Ghost 14 simply too buggy to operate and I should just request a refund?  I just received it today.

I use Windows XP SP2 and have 2 Gb of RAM with 150 GB on the Hard Disk.  My external drive has 150 Gb.  It is a Seagate.

I was using Standard Compression in the backup.  Should I change to no compression in the backup.
3 REPLIES 3

Rocket28
Level 3
I contacted Customer Support and got a technician by the name of Obaid.  He solved the problem.  It appears that my Advanced Options should have been like this:

It appears I got the first error when I was copying bad sectors.  It appears I got the second error when I was not copying Smart Sectors.  Thus, "Disable Smart Sector Copying" should be unchecked and "Ignore bad sectors during copy" should be checked.

Thank you again, Obaid.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
"Ignore bad sectors during copy" should be use only until the drive can be checked and then the images created should be thoroughly check by say doing a mock restore to a virtual guest OS.

Jolly_Jonesy
Not applicable

Why can I not see the error images, I am having errors doing the same task in NG 14 and need to see if this is the same and has the same solution but can not see and match the errors....

Thanks