cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Backup with BESR

Syed_M__Talib
Level 3
Hi Team,

For exchange , BESR has agent we can have hot backup of exch server  but what happenned If I have Oracle 8i and 9i and SQL server how can I take this with BESR
I need to stop database , go with cold backup? please help ...

Regards,
Syed
3 REPLIES 3

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
If the database application is VSS aware (like Exchange) then we will quiesce it automatically.  If the database is not VSS aware, then it is a best practice to stop the associated database services for a few moments as the backup data is generated.

The Backup Exec System Recovery job wizard allows you to point to batch files (which you create) that could stop and then restart the associated services at the beginning of the backup process.

It only takes a few moments to generate the backup data (sometimes called a snapshot), usually only a few seconds.

Thanks.

Syed_M__Talib
Level 3
Hi Bill , Thanks for the early reply!

Only Exchange and AD is VSS aware application for BESR that what user manual is showing.

So you mean that I have to stop (make a script to stop and start application) for Oracle 8i , 9i and SQL for backup? 

if I restore the Oracle drive, will it work fine on same/other machine?

Regards,
Syed Talib

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes that is correct.  Of course, Backup Exec System Recovery won't force you to quiesce your database applications, but it is a best practice to do so. 

Backups you create can be restored to either the same hardware configuration or to a different one.  When restoring backups to different hardware configurations, be sure to select the restore anyware option.

Thanks.