Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Rotating Drives - seems to be different to BESR 6.5

David-Langthale
Level 3
Partner
Hi,
We are using BESR 6.5 at the moment. This is the scenario:
Complete backup of server hard drive is done daily directly to portable HD,. Portable HD is taken offsite, and replaced with another, and thus they are rotated.
We have the following problem: Number of recovery points are set to 1. However because the HD are being rotated, BESR 6.5 gets confused and never deletes the old recover points.

I was told BESR 8.0 (to which we are thinking to upgrade) has a handy feature called Manage Backup Destination Settings. Bingo ! Just what I need.

Fortunately before upgrading on the production system I did some testing, and now I have another problem. BESR 8.0 does not like rotating of external HDs. If I swop them, it refuses to do the backup giving the following error:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of SATA-B - Prog (D:\). Error EC8F03FE: Cannot read the properties of the job. Error EC8F1F62: Cannot find external device 'Backup 2'. Details: The system cannot find the path specified.

Now the external HD are totally equal (same manufacturer, same size etc) BESR 6.5 did not have this problem, BESR 8.0 cannot handle this? Or am I doing something wrong?

Now if BESR cannot do this I would prefer to stay with BESR 6.5, but would like a hind on how to delete those old recovery points. I know there are some scripts around, but I am not a script person, and I have no idea how these should be executed. A nudge in a right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you

David
3 REPLIES 3

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
I wonder would the offsite copy handle this for you?
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/313608.htm
Although generally you would be creating a "local" copy first.

Have a look anyway and see if it is what your looking for.

Regards,
Gilly

David-Langthale
Level 3
Partner
Hi Gilly,
Thanks for suggestion. Problem is I do not want to create the local copy first.

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Yeah I thought so...
I'm not sure so David how to get around it...
Gilly