cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR disk and drivers

d_dvp
Level 3

Hello guys,

I need a hand in understanding the driver’s part of SDR for Symantec System Recovery.

I read this doc: http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/fact_sheets/b-symantec-system-recovery-2013.pdf and I am now thinking that when creating SDR disk for System Recovery it collect drivers from the system where it is going to be created, is that right? I was thinking before that drivers stored inside that SDR creation ISO, but now I am lost.

For example, in BE I clearly see that drivers are taken from backup (if the backup was created with DR mode), how is that working with System Recovery? Would disk created on one server apply to another with different hardware?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As these drivers are used for network/storage device initialization, so version change does not matter much. Not necessary to create a custom SRD.

The ISO already has pre-included drivers. (You can browse to a sub-folder named DDB and there is a text file which lists the drivers present with the default disk). When running a custom SRD on computer A, it will scan the OS, registry and will give an option to add computer A's drivers to the existing set of drivers present in the default ISO.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6

The default Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD) includes pretty much most of the network & storage drivers available. Though of course, as it's improbable to include all, a need does arise to create a custom SRD.

When creating a custom SRD, it will list those drivers (by scanning the computer where the custom SRD is being made), which are not present in the default disk and gives one an option to include these drivers.

During dissimilar hardware restore, most of the times, these pre-included drivers are sufficient, though if a particular driver is required, it can be loaded during the recovery process.

Secondly, we usually do know prior as to which dissimilar hardware is going to be used and one can quickly test if the default disk is sufficient or if additional drivers are required. If additional drivers are required, then a custom disk can be created.

d_dvp
Level 3

Cool!

So it picks up driver files from the ISO according to the drivers in the system? What if versions of the drivers in the system are newer - the the custom image needs to be created?

VJware
Level 6

As these drivers are used for network/storage device initialization, so version change does not matter much. Not necessary to create a custom SRD.

The ISO already has pre-included drivers. (You can browse to a sub-folder named DDB and there is a text file which lists the drivers present with the default disk). When running a custom SRD on computer A, it will scan the OS, registry and will give an option to add computer A's drivers to the existing set of drivers present in the default ISO.

d_dvp
Level 3

Got it. Thank you.