cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 Upgrade process review

davidkillingswo
Level 3
Partner

I just upgraded from SSR SBS Server edition 2011 to 2013.

SBS 2011 Standard Server.

• When I first started up there was an option to clean up space used for backups.  Can't find it now.  How do I get back to that point?  I want to see if it can optimize the disk space used for backups.
  • STILL NO SFTP support - WTF???
  • Why is there no offsite support for files and folders backup jobs?  Only for Full server backup.
  • My SMTP server settings were gone after the upgrade.

I installed the monitor tool, but I could not add my own server to view it.  I only have one server that SSR is installed on, so maybe it is redundant, but I couldn't login.

I tried using the IP of the server, the hostname, 127.0.0.1, localhost.  I tried using hostname\administartor, domainname\administrator, etc. I tried turning off Windows firewall.

It just would not connect - maybe it's not suppossed to connect to itself, but a better error message other than "Not Connected" would be useful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidkillingswo
Level 3
Partner

I resolved my problem. 

I have a VPN configured between the site where the server that is being backed up is located, which has SSR 2013 installed - and where the FTP server is for the offsite storage.

It turned out that our firewall rebooted at roughly the same time that the offsite backup was taking place.  When the firewall came back up, it did not have the configuration for the VPN connection, so SSR 2013 was not able to initiate an FTP connection to the remote site.

I don't know what kind of chances there are that this coincidence could happen, but it did.

I'm still wondering about the monitoring tool.  Any idea what is going on there?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

criley
Employee Accredited

I will try and answer some of your questions...

When I first started up there was an option to clean up space used for backups.  Can't find it now.  How do I get back to that point?  I want to see if it can optimize the disk space used for backups.

This has not changed in 2013. It's in the same location (Manage Backup Destination).

STILL NO SFTP support - WTF???

Sadly this is still not in the product.

Why is there no offsite support for files and folders backup jobs?  Only for Full server backup.

This would be an enhancement request (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas)

My SMTP server settings were gone after the upgrade.

I will check this here. Could be a defect.

criley
Employee Accredited

Just tested here by upgrading 10.0.3 (aka 2011 SP3) to 2013 and my SMTP settings were retained.

What version did you upgrade from and on what operating system?

davidkillingswo
Level 3
Partner

I already stated that I was using Microsoft SBS Server Standard 2011

The previous version of my install image is SSR 2011 10.0.2.44074.  Just prior to the 2013 upgrade, I ran the Symantec Live Update, so it should have been the latest version of SSR 2011.

davidkillingswo
Level 3
Partner

When my backup jobs ran tonight, I found another error.

I have a full server image backup job that also writes to an offsite location.  I also have a limit of 14

All of my previous recovery points deleted:

Description: Info 6C8F043D: Recovery point \\MYIPADDRESS\MYSHARE\SBS_Local Disk0-2_Drive010_i002.iv2i deleted to comply with the number of recovery points to save for each drive.

Then many of the offsite copies were deleted:
Description: Info 6C8F1F60: Removed offsite copy ftp://MYOFFSITESERVER/SBS_C_Drive010_i004.iv2i because primary image was deleted.

Then at the very end, I see:Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'Unspecified error.' (UMI:V-281-2987-1009)

The FTP server is empty now, no old copies.

Now, I did go through all of my settings and perhaps saved some of them, but I DID NOT change any settings.

Any idea what the last error message is all about.

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Base backup (v2i file) should be created after upgrading to SSR 2013 and running backup job. Can you please try following?

1. Click on Advanced ribbon item on SSR UI

2. Select Backup job tab

3. Select the backup job to be executed, right-click on the backup and select "Run backup with options"

4. On the subsequent UI, select "New Recovery Point Set" radio button and click OK

Please confirm if the backup job succeeds followed by incremental

-Thanks,

Pravin

davidkillingswo
Level 3
Partner

Hi PravinAdmin,

The backup is successful.  It does create a new recovery point.

The offsite backup fails however.

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi David,

What is the error reported when offsite copy failed? Can you please send the screenshot of error?

-Thanks,

Pravin

davidkillingswo
Level 3
Partner

I resolved my problem. 

I have a VPN configured between the site where the server that is being backed up is located, which has SSR 2013 installed - and where the FTP server is for the offsite storage.

It turned out that our firewall rebooted at roughly the same time that the offsite backup was taking place.  When the firewall came back up, it did not have the configuration for the VPN connection, so SSR 2013 was not able to initiate an FTP connection to the remote site.

I don't know what kind of chances there are that this coincidence could happen, but it did.

I'm still wondering about the monitoring tool.  Any idea what is going on there?