cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing BESR for restoring Win 2K SP4 - OS created from a Dell PE2800 to a DELL PE2900

BuzzinHornet
Not applicable

I installed BESR 8.5 (60 DayTial) on a DELL Power EDGE 2800 that has the OS installed on a 146 g RAID 1 that has two partitions C:\= 40g and Z:\= 106g

I hooked up a USB harddrive and created my recovery image of the PE2800 of the C and Z drive.

I transfered this USB harddrive to the PE2900 along with the BESRD CD and booted the computer and began the process of restoring my computer. I set the check box for making the drive active to boot the OS.

The test failed the PE2900 would not boot to an OS.

What did I do wrong?

Is there a written procdure for doing this? The manual does not mention anything about recovering RAID Arrays.

1 REPLY 1

marcogsp
Level 6

I've done a similar test with a Dell PE2850 (PERC 4e/Di RAID controller) with Win2k3 SP2 and transferring to a Dell PE2950 (PERC 6i RAID Controller).  I used BESR 8.5.1.  The Hardware Abstraction Layers should be identical to your PE2800 and PE2900 units. I was able restore to the PE2950 without too much trouble.  The "detecting devices" portion of the mini setup did stall for about 10 minutes, but there was massive drive activity, so I knew the system was not completely frozen.

When restoring your images to the new hardware, please be certain to check off the "Restore Anyware" option as well.  If you did not see the warnings about possibly needing mass storage drivers etc. And the messages about the HAL being reconfigured, then a "Restore Anyware" was not performed. The 2800 series HAL and 2900 series HAL are not close enough to share images without some intervention, such as "Restore Anyware."  I also check off the options to restore the disk signatures for all drives, and to restore the MBR on the boot drive for good measure.  I also restore one drive at a time when restoring to disparaging hardware.  To my view, if you chose the resize disk space option, it gets less confusing in the GUI if you restore one drive at a time.

I believe the "Restore Anyware" process injected the proper driver for the PERC 6i controller when doing its task.  I was never prompted to supply a driver from an external source.  I checked the old and new servers and the PERC 6i driver was not on the old server. In other tests, I have had to supply the driver when it was not in the library that is on the BESR SRD, and had similar results.  Perhaps a Symantec employee can verify/clarify this suspicion?

The reason the manual does not mention recovering to RAID arrays is because it mentions that mass storage drivers etc. may need to be supplied by you.  RAID controller drivers are technically mass storage drivers, so the caveat applies.

Best of luck in your testing,

Marco