cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error EA3905FE Cluster Not Allocated

beachcomber
Level 3
Hello,

Here's a partial copy of a former discussion I started yesterday, explaining what I'm doing

"Hi everyone,

I've got a server (IBM Eserver 8645 4AX) with 2 drivers (C: --> system and D: --> Data), and a complete backup of them such as :

LabServer_C_Drive001.v2i
Labserver_C_Drive001_s01.v2i
LabServer_C_Drive001_i001.iv2i...

LabServer_D_Drive001.v2i
Labserver_D_Drive001_s01.v2i
LabServer_D_Drive001_i001.iv2i...

I'd like now to recover the 2 Recovery Point Sets, onto another server (IBM Eserver 8646 5AX), which has an empty hard drive.

Using the Recover my Computer wizard, I chose the 2 last incrementials recovery points for a full recovery.

Here are the options I selected for the C: Drive :

1) Check for file system errors after recovery
2) Set drive active (for booting OS)
3) Restore original disk signature
4) Restore master boot record"
5) Using Restore Anyware

Here are the options I selected for the D: Drive :

1) Check for file system errors after recovery
2) Restore original disk signature

While recovering the 2 drives onto the second server, an error message displays : "Error EA3905FE Cluster Not Allocated"

I rebooted the second server and erased entirely its hard drive and tried once again, but I've got the same error message.

My questions are :

Should I make another complete independant backup of my first server ?

Does the destination hard drive have a problem ?

Thank you in advance

For information, I found this on the Symantec knowledge base :

"This problem occurs when a cluster is listed as belonging to a file, but the volume bitmap does not list it as used.

Currently, the CHKDSK program that is part of Windows NT® cannot fix this problem. It does not recognize the cross-link.

If you encounter this message in PartitionMagic, backup, delete and then restore the partition. This problem can cause you to lose data if it is not remedied. If Windows needs to write a file record to the cross-linked area, the master file table can become corrupted.

If you encounter this message in Drive Image or Drive Image Pro, run Drive Image with the /IFC switch which ignores file checking."

I don't think that will help me much...

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited
Have you seen this? http://support.veritas.com/docs/320483

Also, have you tried restoring only the C drive?

beachcomber
Level 3
Well, every time I try to erase the entire disk, I use the function (not sure of the exact name)  "Operations on the partition table".

My first server only have one 33GB hard drive, same thing for the second server, so there's only one available device on each server : \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 (33GB).

First, I just display all informations about the disk (sectors, cylinders,...), and then I use the erase function,  with only zeros left. I guess the first track is erased too ?

Reboot from the SRD, run again the recovery of the 2 drives. And then, the error appears again.

You know, I've got an 'old', complete and, independant backup (C and D drives) of my first server. I'll try to use it...

I forgot to say that when I tried first to perform recovery of the 2 drives, and after rebooting from the hard drive, a BSOD appeared, et rebooting itself the server. The problem is that it seemed to be an "endless loop".

I guess it was due to not using the restore anyware feature.

thank you

beachcomber
Level 3
I successfully recovered my 'old' backup on the second server.
I guess there's no problem with the hardware and the SRD.

I'll try with an off site copy...

Does someone know if a partial recovery point such as  ..._C_Drive001_s01.v2i is handled by the SRD?
In fact, while configuring the backup, BESR adviced me to let him split the first recovery point of a new set, in 2 : ..._C_Drive001.v2i and ..._C_Drive001_s01.v2i

Thank you

beachcomber
Level 3
Finally,

I tried to recover the 2 drives, the C drive first, and the D drive then.

The recover of the first occured fine, but the D drive failed because of the Error EA3905FE

I'll try to recover the 2 drives one by one from an Offsite destination...

If the D drive fails again, i'll start to think it's corrupted

criley
Employee Accredited
If the problem is specific to the D drive, why not try the following?

1. Restore C drive
2. Boot into OS
3. Restore D drive from within Windows