cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE appliance 3600 to scsi tape library

FeeeeSh
Not applicable

I have a scsi tape library connected to a dedicated server.

And i have just purchased, and installed the BE appliance.

I can't seem to find a guide on how to get the appliance to use the Tape Library as target.

I know the appliance doesn't support scsi, but i was told it is able to connect and use the library if it's connected to another server.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The appliance can take a SAS tape library, but not SCSI as you know. I think that whomever told you the appliance can connect to another library on another server needs to show you where this is possible.

At the end of the day, the appliance runs Backup Exec and it can not connect to another SAS/SCSI device hosted on another server. This is impossible to do.

Since you can't add in a SCSI or FC HBA it would be impossible to connect to anything other than a local SAS device.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The appliance can take a SAS tape library, but not SCSI as you know. I think that whomever told you the appliance can connect to another library on another server needs to show you where this is possible.

At the end of the day, the appliance runs Backup Exec and it can not connect to another SAS/SCSI device hosted on another server. This is impossible to do.

Since you can't add in a SCSI or FC HBA it would be impossible to connect to anything other than a local SAS device.

Thanks!

Sethumohan
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hello FeeeeSh,

Yes, it is possible.

Perform backups to the disk of the BE3600 appliance and replicate the backup images to a secondary  BE2012 Media Server. Then configure a tape out from the secondary backup exec media server.

To Manage this, we need to activate the Enterprise Server Option (ESO) License.

The ESO license enables us to integrate BE3600 with BE2012 media server.

BE3600 ships with the deduplication license; which is needed to configure the optimized duplication.

Please go ahead and plan this.

Merry Christmas.

Caughtflying
Level 2

Hello,

We are preparing to buy the backup exec 3600 these days but my question is.

Is it possible to order "skuzzy" controller beside the "SAS" to connect our tape drive to it instead of buyin "Enterprise server option"? 

second, what is included within backup exec 3600 box?

thanks