cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d CPS upgrade-remote agent's indexing service will not start

Eric_Mazzone
Level 2
We just upgraded from 10d to 11d, with CPS.  We push installed a remote agent on to our exchange server (both ends running 2003).  The CPS server will not see the exchange server remote agent.  Upon closer inspection, neither the continuous protection indexing service nor backup exec continuous protection agent service have started.  When trying to start them (also occurred after a couple reboots), we get "terminated unexpectedly" and 8201 errors.  Has anyone run across this problem or know of some way to start these services?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
4 REPLIES 4

Christiane_Pete
Level 4
Employee
Hi Eric,

It looks like you might be experiencing the issue found in technote 288368  (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288368.htm) - "The Continuous Protection Agent service does not start with error "The Backup Exec Continuous Protection Agent service terminated with service-specific error 8201 (0x2009)".  If so, please follow the suggested steps in the above technote.

Hopefully, this will take care of the problem.

Regards,

Christiane

Robert_Roman
Not applicable
Is there any other information besides uninstalling and reinstalling the CPS Agent? I have tried this many times all with the same result. Are the any conflicts with Symantecs other programs; CE 10.1 or Ghost?

Dean_Bliss
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Eric,

You can try deleting the database files associated with CPS and run a repair install:

Stop all CPS services
Goto Program Files\Veritas\Continuous Protection Server\Database
Delete RSA.db and RSA.log (only used for the CPA)
Open Add/Remove Programs and run a Repair install for CPS (this should recreate the db files)
You can say "No" to the reboot and then verify if the services will start.

If this does not resolve then you must Uninstall/Reinstall the CPA

Note** You do not need to perform an upgrade when installing the CPA since the job information is included on the CMS (Continuous Management Server). You can simply uninstall the older version then push out the new version from the console.

Wayne_M
Not applicable
I'm having the same issues on 3 out of 8 servers, 5 CPS upgrades went just fine, but the remaining 3 are having the same issues.

I've tried all the above fixes to no avail, the index and cps agent fail to start.

What else can I try?