cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d with Overland Neo 4100 Tape Library does not recognize tape drive

James_Poffenbar
Not applicable
I am relatively new to the Backup Exec software and backup devices in general. We currently have an Overland Neo 4100 Tape Library connected to a windows 2003 server via a SCSI cable. The library shows up in device manager, we have installed the symantec device drivers as specified in the documentation, however when I try to run an inventory job the library remains idle with the job status at "Ready; no idle devices are available". The tape drive and library are listed on the HCL. I cannot see the drive listed under the devices tab in Backup Exec, I can see the library and all of our tapes, but I cannot do anything else. Also, we are using a trial version of Backup Exec. The connection between the library and the tape drive is a Fibre connection. Is there something I'm missing or does the trial version even support this configuration?
3 REPLIES 3

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
There are two patches available, one of them is for tape libraries. If that fails try the native device drivers, I'm doing that today, the symantec ones have been too unreliable.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

Can't offer a fix, but I can tell you that the trial _does_ support this configuration- it supports everything the full version does, except the ability to run beyond the expiry date.

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
James

I don't like the fact that from Backup Exec you can see the library but not the drive. Does the same happen in Windows device manager? You must see both the Media Changer (that's the library) and the tape drive. If you don't see the tape drive, then the library is not properly connected (maybe the SCSI bus is not terminated).

If you can see everything from the device manager, try setting SCSI ID 2 for the library and 3 for the drive, and after that, run again the Device configuration wizard.

Regards