cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12.5 Agent on a 12.0 Server?

vertex
Level 3
I have two media servers, one 12.0 and the other 12.5. I have one machine with the 12.0 agent, attempting to run jobs on both servers (at different times of course). After the first run of the job, the report came back with "Backup- ******* The target computer is running a previous version of the Backup Exec Remote Agent. You must upgrade ...
Due to constraints in my environment I cannot upgrade both servers to 12.5 at this point. My question is: If I upgrade the agent on this client to 12.5, with it be able to run the backups on the 12.0 server?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

No, you cannot connect to a v12.5 Remote Agent with a v12.0 server

And while a v12.5 media server will talk to a v12.0 RAWS, technically, you need to be on the same version to be within the Licensing Scheme.  If you check the SCL, it notes

Backup Exec 11d and 12 Remote Agents are compatible with 12.5 Media Servers for the purpose of rolling upgrades only. This configuration is not recommended or supported for extended periods. Every effort should be made to get all Backup Exec components to the same version as soon as possible.

(my emphasis)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
I recommend that you dont upgrade agent to latest version if you need to run jobs with older version of BE server. Is that needed, running backup jobs with both servers from the very same machine?
If you will backup that machine only with BE 12.5, upgrade agent.

vertex
Level 3
Yes it is required that I run updates from the 12.0 and the 12.5 servers. Can anyone else provide feedback?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

And while a v12.5 media server will talk to a v12.0 RAWS, technically, you need to be on the same version to be within the Licensing Scheme.  If you check the SCL, it notes

Backup Exec 11d and 12 Remote Agents are compatible with 12.5 Media Servers for the purpose of rolling upgrades only. This configuration is not recommended or supported for extended periods. Every effort should be made to get all Backup Exec components to the same version as soon as possible.

(my emphasis)

joydeepdutt
Level 4

If you upgrade your agent to 12.5 and then try this to backup with 12.0 (major chances it wont work. - this configuration is not supported by symantec tech support team)

My Suggestion :
You said you have
2  media servers, one 12.0 and the other 12.5.
I have one machine with the 12.0 agent
>>>  Upgrade this machine (with 12.0 agent)  to 12.5 & Protect this machine using only 12.5 media server only
If needed run backup twice from it and send backup to required locations/tapes (if they are at diffrent locations) as per your requirements

I hope this helps