cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIX Backup Stop/Restart Server Program

Adam_Harvie
Level 3
Hello,

I have an AIX Backup Exec Agent Version 5.01 Revision 5.046 running on AIX5.1 ML5 connecting to a Windows 2003 SP1 Server Backup Exec Server version 10.1 Rev 5629.

I wish to be able to either run Pre and Post scripts to stop a program before the backup and start it afterwards, or to be able to run a backup using a command (that completes when the backup is complete) so that I can run a nightly backup via a cron script that stop/restarts the server's program after the backup.

How can I achieve this using the AIX agent?
7 REPLIES 7

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Kindly refer the following Document:

How to run pre and post commands in Backup Exec for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253162

How to execute batch files and executables (pre- and post- job commands) before and after a backup via the Backup Exec GUI

http://support.veritas.com/docs/240664

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Adam_Harvie
Level 3
Thank you for your response.

I set up a couple of test scripts /tmp/bkupexec.pre and /tmp/bkupexec.post on the system that is to be backed up to ensure that Pre and Post scripts can be run on an AIX agent (I had read that Pre/Post scripts could only be run on a Windows agent, hence my previous post...)

The documentation you posted shows Windows batch files being used for the Pre/Post scripts. As my client is running AIX, I have written executable Shell scripts (#!/bin/sh).
The scripts fail to run. I receive an error message that directs me to: http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml?EvtID=V-79-57344-33233
This shows Pre/Post errors that relate to incorrect Windows configurations.

Can you please confirm that Pre and Post scripts work on an AIX agent? If so, what type of script will run and which user account will execute the scripts? (I need the root user)

I am at a slight disadvantage here in that I do not have access to the Backup Exec server that my business client is running and I have to assume that the server has been set up correctly.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer this technote:

Is it possible to use the Pre and Post command options to run a script on a remote UNIX server?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/245844

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Adam_Harvie
Level 3
Ok, we have established that using Pre and Post scripts are not the solution to my problem.

My setup is this:
Windows BackupExec Server (Windows Server) ----backs up----> UNIX BackupExec Client (AIX Client)

I need to stop a program on the AIX Client before taking the backup of the AIX Client.
I also need to restart the same program on the AIX Client after the backup completes.

How can this be achieved?
How do I set up the AIX Client and the Windows Server to acheive this?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

How can this be achieved?
* This can not be achieved through backup exec !!

How do I set up the AIX Client and the Windows Server to acheive this?
* This Program then in this case has to be stopped and started manually or if it can be scheduled on AIX !!!

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Adam_Harvie
Level 3
Scheduling the stop/restart of the server program via cron is no problem.
The issue is being able to get the Client to perform and complete the backup during the time that the server program is shut down.

Is there a way for the AIX Client to initiate the backup to the server? (e.g. via command line tools)
or are backups only Server initiated?

The Windows Server has Run Now, and Schedule options for jobs.
If I choose a schedule, but the AIX Client daemon is turned off when the Server attemps to initiate the backup, will the server wait until the AIX Client daemon is started and then perform the backup? or will the backup fail because the server cannot connect to the AIX Client?

Adam_Harvie
Level 3
Many thanks to Nachaiah Kuttaiah (Veritas Phone Support) for his assistance on this issue.

For the Legacy Agent (AIX): Pre and Post scripts are not supported, and there is no command that can be run from the agent to initiate a backup to the Backup Exec server.

For the RALUS Agent (Linux): Pre and Post scripts are supported.

The best solution available to this problem is to set up a Job Time Frame on the Backup Exec Server with the highest priority and with job cancellation if the backup exceeds the time frame.
This solution needs to be used in conjunction with cron jobs to stop and restart the program on the AIX client.

The limitations of this solution include time lost between the shutdown of the program and the starting of the backup, and time lost between the completion of the backup and the restarting of the server program.
If the backup job does not complete within the scheduled time, then the backup will remain incomplete until the next full backup.
Increases to the amount of data may cause backups to fail because backups will take longer than their estimated time.