Did you mean: 

AOFO + VSS issues

tech_msg
Level 2
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

You don't mention which OS this is. If Server 2003, there is a VSS Rollup Patch that you can download and install if need be.

That said, go to a command prompt and type: vssadmin list writers. This will list all the VSS writers on the server. they should all be stable and running, and if not, then you have a couple of options:

1. Reboot the server.

2. Run the VSS Rollup Patch if using Server 2003.

3. Reregister the VSS *.dlls (which you already have done).

As for getting errors when NOT using AOFO, you will get this if there is a file that is open.

tech_msg
Level 2

oh sorry, were actually running server 2008 R2. I just ran liveupdate on it and I scheduled it to reboot tonight about an hour before its scheduled to take a backup so I'll know if that helped tomorrow morning. But if there is anything I can try in the mean time for server 2008 R2 I'm all ears. Btw I appreciate the quick response!

teiva-boy
Level 6

Remember, when you run liveupdate, sure it updates the BE Media server.  It also updates the RAWS directory where the client agent is for BackupExec.  But you will still NEED to re-push out a new RAWS agent to all backup clients to get the benefits of the LiveUpdate operation.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

you may try re-registering VSS DLLs.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70486

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you read the OP's first post very carefully, you'll see he already tried that, which didn't work...

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

I see one reference to a VM. Are all these VM's?

I would start by checking for VSS errors on the machine being backed up between the time the job starts and ends.

Also, what is your output from this command:

VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS