cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied for backup

Paul_Raval
Level 3
Backup - \\mailserverxx\Microsoft Information Store\SG1 Access denied to database DBXXXXX.
Database or database element is corrupt

I have made sure all rights are in order and still no success.
On the same mail server there is a second storage group and that works out fine with no problems.

does anyone know the fix to this.

thanks in advance.
Paul Raval
11 REPLIES 11

Raj_Vingerani
Level 4
Paul, sounds like a permission issue, i need more details

Paul_Raval
Level 3
Raj thanks for the quick responses.
All it is stating in the backups that Access is denied and in the Exceptions windows it states that there is a corrupt file and cannot verify the file.
I have checked the permissions and they are all correct.
Also the access denied error i was getting on other server every now and than but the issue corrected itself. But with this one particular server it is not going away at all.
I have tried everything uninstall the agent and than reinstalling it with the proper account and still no success.

I hope this enough information for you.

Thanks,
Paul Raval

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Please as a test backup of IS using Windows NT Backup utility.

This could also happen because of Antivirus Scans during the backup job.

There are 2 instances of Esebcli2.dll file. The first one is located under windows\system32 and the second in Exchsvr\bin. Rename the esebcli2.dll to .old in the windows\system32 directory. Copy the esebcli2.dll from the Exchsvr\bin directory to the windows\system32 directory. Stop and start all the Backup Exec services.

Please write to us if the issue persists.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Paul_Raval
Level 3
I will do the steps that you have posted in this forum.
the thing is that the backups went through successful without any glitches.
I want to see what happens in the next two day if the backups are back to normal. If so i will mark this answered.
If not i will perform the following steps and take it from there.

Thanks,
Paul Raval

Steve_Jennings
Level 2
Hey, Im hoping to find a more permanent answer to a similar problem but in my scenario this is generally how to solve the problem i get which may help your cause.

Backup the users mailbox who is having the problems, either by exporting it to a pst or which ever method suits you, then disconnect the mailbox from the user in exchange and purge the users mailbox, create a new mailbox import your backed up pst or whichever way you backed up to the new mailbox re-setup the outlook profile on the users pc,

Iv found this happens quite often as the particular user receives masses of email alot of which is spam and the messages seem to get corrupted and stay embedded in the mailbox on exchange even if you have deleted them from within outlook, veritas see's the file and just spits back a backup failure error.

Have yet to find a permanent solution but see how that goesMessage was edited by:
Steve Jennings

Paul_Raval
Level 3
i looked for the file in the system32 and no success. Just so you know we are running Exchange 2003 and i didn't see this file (esebcli2.dll) in system32 of any exchange 2003 servers. What to do?

Paul Raval

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please refer to the folowing technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265159
Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Paul_Raval
Level 3
I checked the settings and i do not have the exchange shadow writer selected at all. I have just selected the SG and the individual DBs. I even tried the ntbackup and it still failed.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hi Paul,

If it failed with NTBackup then it would mean that there is an issue with your Exchange.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paul_Raval
Level 3
Thanks for all the assist.
I am going to be moving the users of the database and than delete the database. Once i do that i will recreate the database and move the users back and than give it a go. IF that works i will post a note in this Post.

Stuart_Little
Level 3
Was this issue resolved? Just that I'm getting issues which could be the same, currently doubting if Veritas is the cause, but certainly a symptom as I cannot back the databases up.