cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to a device was not authorized

redcoat
Level 3
When I try to back up to the agents I get this message

Access to a device was not authorized with this version of backup exec. I have 11d

I am also getting this error when I do a long erase: Device \Device\SCSI\cpqcissml did not respond within timeout period

and

The  Driver detected a controller error on \Device\SCSI\cpqcissml

im using windows 2000 server. The agents are installed on Windows 2003 server. I belive both are standard
9 REPLIES 9

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Hi Redcoat

Check Windows Event Viewer - System Log. In the "Event" column check for Events ID 5, 7, 9, 11 & 15. If you find any, look 2 columns to the left under "Source." If any of the Sources are for the SCSI card (cpqcissml), a tape driver or changer driver, then you need to look at the following:

-- Your drivers are up-to-date
  -- Your firmware is up-to-date
  -- The tape drive does not need cleaning & you are not using old tapes

Consult this TechNote (it works for version 11x also). A couple of paragraphs below Figure 5 you will find explanations for the different Event ID's listed above.

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x

If your SCSI card is a few years old, try this trick

-- Unseat the card from the MOBO slot
    -- Use a new pencil eraser to clean the contacts
    -- Reseat the card preferably in a different slot

redcoat
Level 3
just so you have more information, I just backed up a local folder so it seems I get the Backup exec Access to a device was not Authorized when I back up through agents.

That makes me wonder that the SCSI card is not the problem when It will backup locally. Its also a new tape inside.

redcoat
Level 3
I installed the latest drivers and I'm still getting the same errors. I did have ID's 7,9 and 11. This doesnt make much sense because it is backing up locally fine.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
have you installed the RAWS serial(s) on the media Server?

Is the BERemote service started and running on the remote machines 

redcoat
Level 3
How do I tell if I installed the RAW Serial? I know I put in a serial when I installed backup exec. I don't know if this is the RAW one.

I checked out the services and it is running/started

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you only entered one, that would most likely be for the base/server code.  The RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows Servers) is a separate serial, one per remote server

You can verify this from Tools\Options\Serials

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 07-24-200710:45 AM

redcoat
Level 3
I was given the remote agent serial number and still have it. Can you tell me how to check if I installed the serial and if I didnt how I can?

redcoat
Level 3
I went to tools install and licence. I pushed intstalled the remote agents. They reinstalled on my remote servers. At no point did I have to enter a serial in though

redcoat
Level 3
It is backing up locally. All services are running on both Agents and Media server. Both Names of media server and agent show up in the publishing tab.

I did not install the compents AOF or LDO and It never asks me for the agent serial.

I get the same error every time. Not Authorized with this version of backup exec.