cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add new virtual machine

Takky
Level 3

All,

We are using BE2014 on Windows server 2008 R2 SE(SP1) physical server, all backup servers are running on ESXi 5.5. 

We have been backing up 10 guest servers for 6 months and no problem. We have added one new guest server on ESXi,  but new guest server can not see current backup set when I edit.

The new guest server is Windows server 2012 R2 . What should I check BE2014 settings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Takky
Level 3

phk,

I have found out that the guest server is set something not to take backup to BE2014 and it is our rule. We do not need to backup as image backup, just backup core data . 

Thank you for all your suggestion and help.

Please close this discussion.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Create a new backup job for the VM host and see whether the new VM is detected.

2) In your existing job, delete the VM host and then add it in again.  Check that the new VM is detected.

Takky
Level 3

Thank you, pkh.

I will do your suggestions and let you know the results.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

How did you make the backup selections in the first place ?

Did you first completely select the VM host and then deselect un-needed VMs or did you select only the VMs which you needed to backup ?

Takky
Level 3

I selected VM host and then deselected un-needed VMs.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from the Admin Guide ~

"Backup Exec's dynamic inclusion feature protects new virtual machines and folders that are found when a backup job runs. If new virtual machines are added between the time when the backup job is created and when the backup job runs, Backup Exec automatically backs up the new virtual machines. Because the backup job may include new virtual machines, the job may require more storage space and more time to run than you anticipated. The job history shows the number of virtual machines that were backed up.

If you select a VMware server, then dynamic inclusion is enabled automatically for all of the nodes below it that have a folder icon."

Did you try running a backup job to check if the new VM was automatically included in the backup job or not

Takky
Level 3

Thank you, VJware.

We have been running job evreryday, but new VM did not add.

I need to check new gurest server Win2012 R2 configuration with our OS team if the server is set special settings.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What happens to my earlier suggestions?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/add-new-virtual-machine#comment-10796901

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Just to clarify, is the VM you're having issues with listed when you make your selection list for backup?

Takky
Level 3

phk,

I have found out that the guest server is set something not to take backup to BE2014 and it is our rule. We do not need to backup as image backup, just backup core data . 

Thank you for all your suggestion and help.

Please close this discussion.

Takky
Level 3

Yes, I have tried to add new guest server to existing list, but the server did not list.