cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Append\Overwrite Issues. HELP

Alan_MILNE_2
Level 2
The situation is this.
A robotic library with one Drive. About 8 servers connected using the SSO option.

I have created a number of partitions.

The problem is this.

I have set Server A to run at 20:00 and to overwrite using partition slots (1,2)

I have Set Server B to run at 20:30 and to append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available using the same partition.

There is only one tape in this partition which is easily enough to fit both servers data on it.

Therefore server A should start first at 20:00 and overwrite the tape. When finished server B should then append to the tape.

What seems to be happening is Server B is somehow starting its backup first, not being able to append to the tape it switches to overwrite. Server A starts it's backup and requests a tape as it's set to only overwrite and cant because the overwrite protection prevents this as Server B has already written to it.

Why are they starting in the wrong order?

The only thing I can think of is that other servers are using this drive up until Server B start time and as soon as the drive is available server B decides to start its backup. Surely server A should still be the first one to run as it's been waiting for longer. This is really beginning to annoy me.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you have "Dispaly Status" selected? If so, is there enough data on the servers covered by the first job that BackupExec may still be scanning all the drives/files?

You can guarantee that JobB will follow JobA by creating a BEMCMD command file to release JobB and running it as a POST job from JobA

See http://support.veritas.com/docs/277250

Alan_MILNE_2
Level 2
This is a great Idea and thanks. When can I find the Display Status? I'm a little confused by this part.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Should be on the Global Options page. With thi senabled, you get the status display on the Job Monitor page. but it will scan every drive/file to get numbers and sizes BEFORE it starts backing up. For large drives, and especially over the network, this can cause the actual start of the backup to be delayed for quite a while.Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

The option "Display progress indicators for backup jobs " can be found in Tools> Opions> Preferences!

Backups might take a little longer to complete when this option is selected because the target resources must be scanned to determine the amount of data to be backed up.

Hope it helps!