cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d to BE 2010 Upgrade Options

CDMitchell
Level 3

Hi all,

I"m running several BE servers, all independent of one another (different sites backing up different data).

Here's the important one for an example:
Windows Server 2000
Backup Exec 10d
Runs about 70 jobs on a regular basis.
Server: USCRNAS33       HP Ultrium-2 SCSI HUL5B07835    HP Ultrium-2 Tape Drive Overland NEO Series 2B51100018 
The first HP Ultrium listed above is how BE sees the tape drive, the 2nd one is how Device Manager sees it. The drives are inside an Overland tape library as listed above.

What I want to do is:
1. Transfer all jobs info and catalog to a temp location on another server.
2. Wipe the backup server and install Windows 2003 server and BE 2010.
3. Transfer the job data back in, so that I don't have to reconfigure 70 jobs, e-mail recepients/notifications and all that info from scratch.

From what I've read, I think I'll have to install 12.5 first (I do have upgrade licenses for that as well), transfer the jobs off the server. Wipe it out, then install 2003 server, and then install BE 2010 and get all my job data transfered back.

If worse comes to worse, I can re-enter all the jobs from scratch. It'll just take forever, and I have 3 other servers (with much fewer jobs on them) to upgrade as well. Just trying to save time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As far as upgrading BE itself, the multi-step upgrade from 10d and prior recommend v11d as the intermediary step.  See   http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/331658.htm

Symantec provides instructional KB articles for re-installing and/or moving a BE media server, but both say that they should not be used when the two OSes are different. 

Colin (one of the Symantec techs) in another thread says he doesn't know why that restriction is there, so perhaps he has done a successful cross OS migration

Anyway, as long as you have good backups of the BEDB.BAK file and the \Catalogs folder you should be able to get back to where you were before the migration started

Take a look at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319367.htm