Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 D2D2Tape - Duplicate only last Full Backup

stefan_renner
Level 2
Partner
Hello everybody,

i have a problem at one of my customer.
he has a backup to disk environment and wants to dublicate every week the last full backups of some jobs to tape.
now we had made a policy which dublicates the jobs to tape.
everthin fine.
today i was looking at the backup and i saw, that the dublicate jobs dublicates all backups from the b2d job.
can i configure anywhere, that i only want to dublicate the last job?
because the costumer has his last 8 weeks on disk and i can't backup 8 weeks to tape, only the last full backup.

it's very important for me to find a solution.

does anybody know what i have to do???

thanks a lot

Stefan Renner
4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Please find the Symantec KB for duplicate job configuration
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096

This KB will help you to configure a policy based duplicate job
http://support.veritas.com/docs/284575

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I think the only way to to do this would be to create a separate job for the last server backup/duplicate, and then chain to the other set of serves using a policy.  

If that still pulls all the B2D data, you would need to either call the second (B2D2T) as a post job ( using BEMCMD), or schedule it for about the time that the first B2D completes

stefan_renner
Level 2
Partner
Thanks a lot for your response,
i have now 4 Backupjobs for every system:
1. weekly full backup to disk with dublicate after backup

1. monthly full backup to disk  with dublicate after backup

1. yearly full backup to disk  with dublicate after backup

1. incremental backup to disk

kind regards
stefan

RichSilva
Level 2
I'm trying to follow the KB article, but the "scheduled backup jobs" that I want a "duplicate job" to follow are not showing in the dropdown list)

(In case it matters) Let me provide some history...
We have incremental jobs running during weekdays (except that Exchange backups are full every day).
On Saturdays we run Full Backups.
Those Full backups were followed by "duplicate backup sets" jobs, putting those full backup sets to tape...

The client asked that we only perform the backup to tape operation bi-weekly (to reduce tape usage). Easy I thought, I'd just copy each Full backup job rename it, then change scheduling. I'd remove the "Duplicate Backup" job on the appropriate jobs. This didnt work out, on one incarnation, the duplicate jobs kept running every full backup... On some research, I could infer that maybe the "duplicate backup set" was actually tracking the "media set" and not the "scheduled job" itself...

So I created "Copy to tape" media sets and tried to make that work... It changed things, but still not working as expected. (It seemed that now, the copies were not running consistently)

So, after discussion with the client, we decided to just put things back the way they were.
So I deleted the "new copies" of the Full Backup jobs... But now, all the "duplicate backup set" jobs have disappeared...

And when I try to create more via the Wizard, the dropdown list only lists my incremental backups... The Full Backups are not in the list at all...
Where do I go from here?
RichWhat are the characteristics or properties of a "scheduled job" that would all (disallow) it from being a candidate for a "following" duplicate backup sets job?