cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 Restore mail messages to Exchange 2003 "Pre-Processing"

PixcomTech
Level 3
Hi.

We're backing up an Exchange 2003 Server with Backup Exec 12.5. We're backing up to disk. GRT is activated in the backup jobs.

The thing is, when I try to restore individual messages, the backup process starts, however, it remains in "pre-Processing" state forever (I let it run for more than 10 hours). No disk activity on the backup machine, CPU is at about 50 % activity.

Any Idea of what's wrong ?
9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Check to make sure that Advanced Open File Option is not enabled. Symantec don't recommend this when backing up Exchange.

PixcomTech
Level 3
In my restore job, and in the backup job....

The previous sysadmin here did not update BE to Service pack 2 nor the Hotfix. I stopped the job,  which wouldn't stop. I had to restart the machine.

I just resubmitted a job, using the new version, and i seem to have the same problem

Grrr....

PixcomTech
Level 3
After 4h30 Minutes. Nothing is moving. Whta should I do ? Where can I reach for support ? 

CraigV
If you're restoring from tape, you might run into hassles, and you have to stage to disk instead. The default path is C:\Temp, and depending on your C:\ partition size, and the size of your Exchange IS, you will run into problems.
I take it you're successfully backing up to tape?
Try this and see if it works...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

If it doesn't work, then I'd suggest logging a call with Symantec. Logging the call depends on which country you are in, and you can find that out here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_care.jsp

PixcomTech
Level 3
c:\Temp is the path i'm using and it's not filling up.

I logged a call to symantec. 21 hours and still nothing.

PixcomTech
Level 3
The job is still pre-processing after 21 hours. 

CraigV
It won't fill up yet. Try moving that path to another disk with adequate space. Cancel the restore, and try again.
Just make sure you can do a successful credential test as well when restoring.

DaveElder
Level 2
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm finding the same problem.
I can do a restore from tape to exchange, but I've tried staging to disk to make things easier if there are mutliple bits to restore, and now it just sites on pre-processing.

Dave

CraigV
Hi,

There is a default location where BEWS temporarily stages the Exchange restore. Even if you want to restore a user's 1 email they deleted, BEWS will stage that entire Information Store to disk.
Setting that to a drive with enough space in Options --> Exchange is the first step in restoring Exchange.

However, this is a dead topic...the guy never responded after my last post =(