cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 restoring folders without files! Help!

UMGTagliaferro
Not applicable
Hello!
My company had to perform a restore for the first time since I've been here after dutifully backing up our servers twice a day.
The president lost a bunch of valuable files which I set to restore from the most recent backup (and a few others, read on...) but when the files restored (either to original or new locations) BE only moved the folder structure but every folder was completely empty!
Where are all the files?!

Please help as I'm going nuts.
5 REPLIES 5

tech29
Level 6
Hi,

Are you trying to restore DFS (Distributed File system ) data by any chance? If yes, then make sure you backed it up correctly.

You have to backup the DFS folders through shadow copy components.

Here is the tehcnote:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/304981.htm

Regards,
tech29

GDaddy
Level 3

Well, I guess you learned it the hard way.  Test back up and restore to make sure its working before you really need it.

When you're choosing what to restore do you see the files in the folders?  If so, I'd try redirecting the restore to another folder/drive to see if the files are there. 

Good luck!

SMI
Level 3
UMGT, hopefully the file redirection is the answer to your trouble. If the most recent backup didn't restore your files, you may want to go back to the previous backup. It could be just a bad tape.  GDaddy is right - there is only one way to be sure backups work, and this is to test your backups regularly. That means restore on a regular basis. The harder the lesson, the more it sticks.

Best of luck!

GDaddy
Level 3

I saw that you already tried to redirect.  I'd make sure the account backing up/restoring has full access to a brand new folder/drive that you are trying to redirect to.  Also, have you tried just restoring a single file?  Does that work?

tech29
Level 6
Hi

Any update on this?

Regards,
tech29