Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R2 - Can't install Exchange Archiving Option / Outlook 2010

Mike_Newman
Level 2
Partner

Hello and Thanks in Advance for Assistance,

I have a Windows 2008 R2 x64 Server fully patched and have installed BE 2010 R2 thereon.  I've installed Outlook 2010 on that server as a prerequisite for installing the Archiving Option for Exchange.  I have made Outlook 2010 the default mail program on the BE server (there are no other mail clients installed).

The problem I'm having is that when I choose this option to install, I receive a dialog box that states that I need to install Outlook (note that I already have installed Outlook 2010 on the BE server), and at the bottom of that dialog box it states:

"A previous program installation created a pending file operations on the installation machine. You must restart the computer before installing Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Archiving Option."

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get beyond this error.

I've searched on Goolge, and on the Symantec site, but can't find any resolution.  I would appreciate assistance on how to solve this issue so that I can install this option.

Thanks,

Mike Newman

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The error message says that you have to reboot the server, did you do that ?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If reboot has already been done, see if following article helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312995

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

Mike_Newman
Level 2
Partner

Hello,

I appreciate that sometimes the obvious needs to be stated....however, yes, I did reboot the server....many, many times.

Still....no joy.

Mike Newman

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are you sure Outlook 2010 is supported with the Backup Exec archive option?

I cannot find a compatibility guide for this option.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Reading the manual, only Outlook 2003 SP3 and 2007 SP2 are specifically mentioned as a requirement to be installed.  Outlook 2010 is NOT listed.

Also to note, it will only archive from Exch 2003 and 2007, and NOT 2010.  Remember that the archiving option is a teaser to Enterprise Vault.  It was created and released before EV9 which does support Exch2010.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Just a footnote.

EV 9.0 currently offers support only for Exchange 2010 & NOT for Outlook 2010. Outlook 2010 support is planned with EV 9.0.1 (slated to release by this week end)