cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 Backup Hyper-V 2008 R2 Cluster(CSV) Equalogic SAN

gargery1
Level 2

Hello,

I am trying to backup my clustered Hyper-V virtual machines in a 2 node cluster that reside on a Equalogic PS4000. I am getting the following error almost immeditely

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\cluster.Domain.local\Hyper-V?HA?VM\Server". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11225 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot technology that you selected does not support snap technology for this volume. Select another snapshot technology, and then run the job again.

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you install RAWS in the VM's?

Also, see this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66252

gargery1
Level 2

No the agent is only installed on the host level as I want to backup the VM's in the cluster at the VHD level.  An update. I installed the BE 2012 core product on one of my hosts and the RAWS agent on the other host and now I am able to backup the VM's and it makes proper VSS calls. I dont know why it would not work with BE 2012 installed on my backup server with just the agents on the 2 hosts.

pgdave
Level 3

I think you'll fine VHDmount isn't on the backup server. Either extract it form the Virtual Server 2005 installer (you may need a Win2008 Server for this, R2 seems to have issues), or install the HyperV role on the backup server itself.