cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2014 SP2 - VM GRT Backup to Disk - Inconsistent Size Reporting

Chris_Mitchell1
Level 2

I am having a problem with inconsistent size reporting on Backup to Disk storage for VM GRT backups.

Here is my environment. The BE server is Backup Exec 2014 SP2 on Windows Server 2012 R2.

The environment in question is: VMWare ESX 5.5 farm. Three VM's of Server 2012 R2 and Server 2008 R2 flavors.

I am performing VM agent backups through VCenter and using GRT feature. Full backups on Friday. Incrementals on Monday through Thursday.

Everything is backed up to a NAS device.

The backups in and of themselves have been running fine. However, recently, I ran into a space issue on the NAS (full). So, I went into Storage -> to the NAS device -> Backup Sets to see what my backup sets looked like, and what I could expire, modify or move around.

I saw what appears to be full backups running every time, even on days that incrementals are scheduled to run. See example below: (please note the nac-mgmt are just straight windows backups, which are reporting right).

Capture.PNG

However, the actual job log itself shows that only 37.5 GB of data was backed up last night, which is way more in line with what I would expect. See below job log.

Capture 2.PNG

I will have a very difficult time if I can't figure out exactly how much space the backups are taking by looking directly at the Storage tab, as opposed to looking at the job log, see what IMG and B2D files were used, browsing the NAS through Windows Explorer by hand, and verifying it that way.

I originally thought it was because Change Block Tracking was not enabled on the VM farm, so I had the admin do it. She confirmed it is now enabled on everything. However that size misreporting is still the same, which last night's backup shows.

Is there a solution to this? I need to know what is using the space, so I can correctly configure my backup jobs.

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  Try running a repair of the BEDB with BEUtility. see:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67239

Chris_Mitchell1
Level 2

I did as suggested, but it didn't resolve it. I don't believe this is an error in the database, but rather a bug in the program. It reports the full size allocated for that VM as reported by VCenter, not the actual size of the data backed up. If it's a full backup, then it's fine, but when it's an incremental backup, it should just report the data backed up, not the size of the VM that is protected.

Like mentioned before, Windows agent backups are reporting fine, so this is a VM specific error.

This seems to be less of an issue with me, as I have resolved the space issue on my NAS. However, the app team there needs to look at this and resolve it.